listener23

Membership Revoked
Removed
Aug 10, 2013
East-Coast
Status
Pre-Medical
Are the verbal passages longer on the real MCAT than they are on AAMC #3 ( i expected more)

gettheleadout

MS-4
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2010
Status
Medical Student
People will tell you that VR passages were longer when they took the real thing, but there's absolutely no proof of this and if it were true it would somewhat contradict the AAMC's own information about passage length. Because of screen resolution and scrolling on the real thing, they may seem longer, but they are almost certainly not.

Also moving to MCAT Disc.

wannalearn2heal

7+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Agreed. Passage lengths are pretty much uniform. What you might think about, going forward, is that a greater proportion of Comprehension questions (about half) appears on that MCAT than the later available tests. In the later tests, the ratio between comp - application - evaluation - incorporation is close to 1:1:1:1.

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
I could swear the VR passages on #3 was shorter than the rest of the AAMC practice tests. Somebody that still has access should run the different test passages through a word count and get back to us, I'm just curious now.

The passages as a whole between all of the tests were pretty representative of the real deal though. Your VR score on the practice exams should very closely correlate to your final MCAT score.

Jul 22, 2011
Status
Pre-Medical
AAMC verbals are pretty comparable to the real thing, but TPRH, Kaplan, and EK verbals are way shorter.