AAMC 3R relative difficulty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jammin06

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the 3R exam earlier today and was wondering how it compared to the other exams released by AAMC. Unfortunately I only had time to take the Physical and Biological sections, but I did fairly well (compared to my other exams) on those sections (11-b, 10-p). my previous exams had the following trends:

TPR 4911: p-7, b-8, v-5
tpr 4921: p-8, b-9, v-5
tpr test A: p-8, b-7, v-7

EK 101 exams: 8,7,9,9

ultimately, i'm wondering if i'm actually getting better or i'm just doing well on easier exams, and doing poorly on harder exams, but could really get screwed on the real mcat.

Members don't see this ad.

I think my MCAT instructor told me that 3R was supposed to be a bit easier than the real MCAT. I'm not sure how much easier, though.

jeffsleepy said:
I think my MCAT instructor told me that 3R was supposed to be a bit easier than the real MCAT. I'm not sure how much easier, though.

You are right 3R is LOT easier than Real MCAT. :scared:

Watch out for the verbal on 4R though, I got a 6 when I took it....it's trixy

Members don't see this ad :)
3R was the first MCAT i took, and i got a 33 on it. i ended up getting 34s on all my other AAMC practice tests.

i think the negative effect of my MCAT virgin status along with the positive effect of its ease balanced out, and i settled into my score range.

i did a lot better on the real thing, but that was a mixture of luck and everything finally gelling.

So, what's the range in difficulty of all the AAMC tests... 3R to 7R? Could someone rate them from easiest to most difficult--and I understand that it will only be a personal opinion.

Also, which one did you guys think was the closest to the one in April--obviously they are all the real thing because they were actual tests.

3R test phys science really a joke

i'd really like to know the answer to that as well.

tell me which is the hardest tests so i can take them earlier and not two days before the August exam where it will totally discourage me....

I disagree with above posters, and found 3R to be approximately the same difficulty as the others. The scaled score makes up for any difference in overall difficulty. Plus, every test really depends on whether it hits your strong points or weak points. I got a 36 on 3R, a 37 on 4R and a 38 on 5R, studying my weak areas in between (or was it 36, 38, 39? I can't remember now). I got a 39 on the April MCAT.

yikes!! I am really in trouble.

was a 36 the lowest score you ever got on practices?

I generally do well on standardized tests but if my meager scores so far are any indication of how i will do in less than 4 weeks, i'm in big trouble.

liverotcod said:
I disagree with above posters, and found 3R to be approximately the same difficulty as the others. The scaled score makes up for any difference in overall difficulty. Plus, every test really depends on whether it hits your strong points or weak points. I got a 36 on 3R, a 37 on 4R and a 38 on 5R, studying my weak areas in between (or was it 36, 38, 39? I can't remember now). I got a 39 on the April MCAT.

How did you study? Class, EK, textbooks?

yikes!! I am really in trouble.

relax! :) hardly anyone does as well as liverotcod did on the practice tests...and hardly anyone does as well as he/she did on the real thing too! :) what practice tests have you taken thus far and how have you done psycho? (sorry if you've mentioned this before already in another thread)

I thought 4R was a very fair test. Also, I'm on lunch break of 5R and the physical seems very much the same difficulty wise - not bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, i haven't mentioned any scores other than my first test and i generally don't, but here goes:

an EK exam taken before i did any prep work: 24 ( i was told not to use EK exams and stopped after that)

then 2 weeks later after some studying, 3R: 32 (so it must be easier)
another week later, 4R: 30 :confused:
later that week, 5R: 33

Improving 6 points after two weeks of studying was a real incentive but then going down really killed me and i worry about how i'll do on the real thing. :scared:

Psycho Doctor said:
No, i haven't mentioned any scores other than my first test and i generally don't, but here goes:

an EK exam taken before i did any prep work: 24 ( i was told not to use EK exams and stopped after that)

then 2 weeks later after some studying, 3R: 32 (so it must be easier)
another week later, 4R: 30 :confused:
later that week, 5R: 33

Improving 6 points after two weeks of studying was a real incentive but then going down really killed me and i worry about how i'll do on the real thing. :scared:

Are you kidding me... you're doing fine... and, you still have about a month to go. You should feel confident right now.

Why were you told not to do the EK tests? Are they supposed to be too easy?

GBFKicks said:
How did you study? Class, EK, textbooks?

I used the big Kaplan review book. The biggest thing though, is working really really hard in my prerequisite classes. I did the gunner thing - you know, sat in front, stayed awake, asked dumb questions. Nothing like a little shame in front of 300 bio majors to help you remember which pituitary is which.

But I wasn't trying to imply that my results were typical, or whatever. Just that, as a fairly accomplished test taker, I found 3R similar in difficulty to the rest.

I was told sometimes they are more difficult but definitely atypical. I don't know, i am impressionable and listen to anyone, especially if they did really well on the real thing...and she did better than anyone i know. :)

but my time is soooo limited for studying ..i take my review books to my volunteer job and do it in between calls, etc. i take it with me in the car and read in bad traffic ;) (ok kidding but i keep it beside me for whenever i get a chance to read). everyone is spending sooo much more time studying than me, and i know i need to find time to do many more practice tests.

also my decision whether to take this tet (and therefore whether to apply this year) is really dependent on how i'm doing on practices. I HAVE to do well on the test since my apps will be late. :(

omg are you kidding me?!?! you are doing so fine, it's not even funny. i've read so many of your posts and after seeing that i have no clue what is up with you! no offense...you are SO fine. you could take the thing tommorrow and end up being a super competitive applicant...Please tell me you aren't one of those horrible premeds who has to go to JH or Harvard. :)

hey, i have to apologize if that post seemed at all mean spirited or harsh... :) I guess maybe I'm a hypocrite; I'm just in a sort of bad mood because I took 5R today and did worse than I did on 4 a week ago... but just because of what I hope is a fluke verbal score...I apologize :)

bella_dottoressa said:
...you are SO fine. you could take the thing tommorrow and end up being a super competitive applicant...Please tell me you aren't one of those horrible premeds who has to go to JH or Harvard. :)

hahaha, no way, and i went down on one test already so it can happen on the real thing too. And JH is on my list, not as a "must"...but i know there's no chance :( My other main school is Cornell.

and i saw your next post that you did worse on the test today so i can certainly understand the feelings. And i didn't take offense at your post at all.

and the people here make me nervous b/c they are doing sooo much better and i haven't even done apps yet so i have A LOT riding on this one exam (4 days after my orgo final) :(

I'm using EK and we just took our third practice test.... So far I've been scoring between 18-23 (my last was 23, so I have been improving)... but 23 is REALLY bad...I need at least a score in the high twentys... the thing is I heard that EK's tests were a lot more difficult than the real MCAT, but I wanted to know if anyone who's taken EK can affirm that, and if so, how much harder... (ie. would a 23 on EK's practice MCATs land me a 28...because I doubt it!)
Thanks for your help!!!

i heard the same thing, and i went from a 24 EK then 2 weeks later after some studying to a 32 on the 3R so it must be easier. So i'm sure it must be the same for you. lots of good luck!

Psycho Doctor said:
i heard the same thing, and i went from a 24 EK then 2 weeks later after some studying to a 32 on the 3R so it must be easier. So i'm sure it must be the same for you. lots of good luck!

This could also imply that EK tests are scored significantly harder than the real MCAT, which many people have, in the past, suggested.

jammin06 said:
I took the 3R exam earlier today and was wondering how it compared to the other exams released by AAMC.

I think it depends on the person and where you are with studying, but most people I have spoken to thought 3R was the easiest. I can tell you that my form of the April MCAT was harder than any of the AAMCs, but my actual scaled score came out about the same. The PR diagnostics were about as hard as my actual MCAT, but my scores were always lower on those.

I would think that a score in the mid-twenties would translate into a score in the high twenties on the actual MCAT.