AAMC #4 Bio Passage VI Item 136

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bdc142

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If the anti-inflammatory drug in Treatment 1 interfered with DNA replication, in which phase of the cell cycle would cells tend to be arrested?

A) Go phase
B) G1 phase
C) S phase
D) G2 phase

I said G2 phase, because that's where the next checkpoint is after S phase, but apparently the answer is C, S phase. But that shouldn't make sense since there is no S phase checkpoint?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't like this kind of question because it is open to interpretation.
According to the answer, the question doesn't want us to over complicate the issue. Because DNA replication happens in S, therefore it would be arrested there. Any more scientific and convincing explanation is welcome.

If the anti-inflammatory drug in Treatment 1 interfered with DNA replication, in which phase of the cell cycle would cells tend to be arrested?

A) Go phase
B) G1 phase
C) S phase
D) G2 phase

I said G2 phase, because that's where the next checkpoint is after S phase, but apparently the answer is C, S phase. But that shouldn't make sense since there is no S phase checkpoint?

If the cell fails at the G2 checkpoint, it will go back and repeat S phase. Therefore it will be trapped in S phase.