1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

aamc 4r PS Question#63

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by da_donut, Aug 10, 2006.

1. da_donut

da_donut Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Hi,

If someone can help me with this question I'd appreciate it. My initial thought when I read the question was that the electron would accelerate to the cathode, but then I started to think about it and got it wrong lol. Here was my reasoning:

F=qE=ma Now my reasoning was that the electric field was constant and so the force doesn't change and thus there is no acceleration. I think i see my problem as I'm writing this....the electric field isn't constant is it...? But why isn't it?

I'm confusing myself.....if someone has a simple clear answer please help me out.

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrCurious

DrCurious Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

You kind of answered your own question. F=qE, if there is a constant force on an object it accelerates. Additionally, the passage states that the cathode is connect to the negative end of the battery so you know it will accelerate away from the cathode.

4. Knickerbocker

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    The person above gave a better answer, so I'm removing mine.

5. superwillis

superwillis Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Remember that a constant force causes acceleration, not a changing one.

6. da_donut

da_donut Senior Member
    2+ Year Member

Thanks Dr. Curious and Superwillis. This is definately where I made my mistake because I got confused and equated a constant force with 0 acceleration which is incorrect.

7. aquila

aquila New Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical