aamc 4r PS Question#63

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

da_donut

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

If someone can help me with this question I'd appreciate it. My initial thought when I read the question was that the electron would accelerate to the cathode, but then I started to think about it and got it wrong lol. Here was my reasoning:

F=qE=ma Now my reasoning was that the electric field was constant and so the force doesn't change and thus there is no acceleration. I think i see my problem as I'm writing this....the electric field isn't constant is it...? But why isn't it?

I'm confusing myself.....if someone has a simple clear answer please help me out.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You kind of answered your own question. F=qE, if there is a constant force on an object it accelerates. Additionally, the passage states that the cathode is connect to the negative end of the battery so you know it will accelerate away from the cathode.

da_donut said:
Hi,

If someone can help me with this question I'd appreciate it. My initial thought when I read the question was that the electron would accelerate to the cathode, but then I started to think about it and got it wrong lol. Here was my reasoning:

F=qE=ma Now my reasoning was that the electric field was constant and so the force doesn't change and thus there is no acceleration. I think i see my problem as I'm writing this....the electric field isn't constant is it...? But why isn't it?

I'm confusing myself.....if someone has a simple clear answer please help me out.

Thanks!

Remember that a constant force causes acceleration, not a changing one.

Members don't see this ad :)
superwillis said:
Remember that a constant force causes acceleration, not a changing one.
Thanks Dr. Curious and Superwillis. This is definately where I made my mistake because I got confused and equated a constant force with 0 acceleration which is incorrect.