aamc 5 question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

puffylover

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
bs section question 142:

a microbe pathogen was hypothesized as the causative agent of the disease because:
I. suspicious objects were found in the blood samples from ill patients
II. in vitro cultivation of the probable pathogen was difficult
III. the disease was infectious

answer: III only

so the pathogen was a virion... wouldn't it be found in the blood of the patient??

Members don't see this ad.

don't recall off the top of my head but i'm highly suspicious of the context of the question, i.e. the passage

bs section question 142:

a microbe pathogen was hypothesized as the causative agent of the disease because:
I. suspicious objects were found in the blood samples from ill patients
II. in vitro cultivation of the probable pathogen was difficult
III. the disease was infectious

answer: III only

so the pathogen was a virion... wouldn't it be found in the blood of the patient??

This passage is brilliant and highly representative of what you'll see on test day. You must read carefully. I missed it too and was angry. You do not see virus particles in the blood. The only reason they noticed that is because they obtained a blood sample and looked at it under the microscope.

The beginning of the passage states there was an infectious agent. I know it's annoying but get in the habit of really dissecting the passage. I took it on 3/27 and 95% was all reading comprehension and understanding experiments.

When it comes to viruses, we do tests to determine whether they are present or not. Good luck in your studies.