puffylover

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2008
Status
bs section question 142:

a microbe pathogen was hypothesized as the causative agent of the disease because:
I. suspicious objects were found in the blood samples from ill patients
II. in vitro cultivation of the probable pathogen was difficult
III. the disease was infectious

answer: III only

so the pathogen was a virion... wouldn't it be found in the blood of the patient??

RogueUnicorn

rawr.
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
don't recall off the top of my head but i'm highly suspicious of the context of the question, i.e. the passage

PhilIvey

Poker Aficionado
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2006
Status
bs section question 142:

a microbe pathogen was hypothesized as the causative agent of the disease because:
I. suspicious objects were found in the blood samples from ill patients
II. in vitro cultivation of the probable pathogen was difficult
III. the disease was infectious

answer: III only

so the pathogen was a virion... wouldn't it be found in the blood of the patient??
This passage is brilliant and highly representative of what you'll see on test day. You must read carefully. I missed it too and was angry. You do not see virus particles in the blood. The only reason they noticed that is because they obtained a blood sample and looked at it under the microscope.

The beginning of the passage states there was an infectious agent. I know it's annoying but get in the habit of really dissecting the passage. I took it on 3/27 and 95% was all reading comprehension and understanding experiments.

When it comes to viruses, we do tests to determine whether they are present or not. Good luck in your studies.