AAMC 5R and what can I hope for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mnmsuccess

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished studying all the content from EK books on saturday. I did 30 min exams along the way and did pretty well on them (13-14 on most of them) but today I took 5R and I was a bit disappointed. I got a 30 (12-9-9).
While taking the test I recognized quite a number of questions where I remembered seeing it but forgot exact details. I am hoping this can be fixed in the next 12 days... but how much of an improvement can I hope for?

Anyone start out here and see changes within short time?

I am feeling awful and discouraged :(

I plan to do other AAMC tests and 3 EK exams... also in the meantime use Kaplan full length passages to practice in a non-timed setting.

Do I have any hopes of doing better :(

Members don't see this ad.

i just finished 5R and i'm really discouraged, although my score is much lower than yours...we'll see how i do on the next one? i'm hoping it was one of the harder ones, but who knows.

5R has been my best score so far... then again im not one of the overachievers going for a 39....
You should not be so discouraged by a 30.. especially on your first full length-- just remember some people would kill for that score.

Also the more full lengths you do the less fatigue etc will affect your score. Keep it up u can do it

for what its worth i got a 35 on 8 and 3r and a 28 on 4r. on 5r i got a 33

Members don't see this ad :)
what tha.....
I'm doomed..

earlier AAMC's are suppose to be easier than later ones and I got a freaking 8 on verbal :eek:

Question related to 5R, does anyone know why #156 of BS is D? Why would an autosomal recessive nonlethal mutation of the Ach receptor gene in rats affect the plasma membrane out of all other organelles (the other choices are microtubules, ribosomes, and ER)? Thanks!

I would say 5R is one of the easy ones since its one of the older ones. They just keep increasing in difficulty.

4s4 said:
Question related to 5R, does anyone know why #156 of BS is D? Why would an autosomal recessive nonlethal mutation of the Ach receptor gene in rats affect the plasma membrane out of all other organelles (the other choices are microtubules, ribosomes, and ER)? Thanks!

Where would an ACh receptor be located? In the PM no? So of the options given the only place that will be affected is the PM, where the receptors would have been......

Oh ok, that makes sense, thanks...need to brush up on my bio..badly.