1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

AAMC 5R bio question

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by UCLAstudent, Apr 2, 2004.

1. UCLAstudent

UCLAstudent I'm a luck dragon!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'd post this in the "questions" thread, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone else who has taken it.

For problem 172, my answer key says that the answer is A (primary amines). I don't see how that is possible. Looking at the picture in the passage, I can see how benzylamine is a primary amine because the N is bound to a carbon that is only bound to one other carbon. For aniline, it is bound to a carbon bound to two other carbons. Wouldn't that make it secondary? I think maybe I am mixing up the rules for classifying alcohols with classifying amines.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. OnMyWayThere

OnMyWayThere OMS-III
    10+ Year Member

It is the number of Carbons the N is attached to directly... not the number of Carbons the carbon N is attached to is attached to... wow that could probably be reworded but I'm sure you get what I'm saying... :p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OP
    OP
    UCLAstudent

UCLAstudent I'm a luck dragon!
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thank you, you're wonderful! :D

4. CanIMakeIt

CanIMakeIt Fellow
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    yep in amines it is little different..... it is the number of Cs directly bonded to N that counts.

5. farley is god

farley is god Empty Tank.
    7+ Year Member

that also tripped me up on that particular problem.

damn organic chemists.