AAMC 5R bio question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd post this in the "questions" thread, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone else who has taken it.

For problem 172, my answer key says that the answer is A (primary amines). I don't see how that is possible. Looking at the picture in the passage, I can see how benzylamine is a primary amine because the N is bound to a carbon that is only bound to one other carbon. For aniline, it is bound to a carbon bound to two other carbons. Wouldn't that make it secondary? I think maybe I am mixing up the rules for classifying alcohols with classifying amines.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by UCLAstudent

For problem 172, For aniline, it is bound to a carbon bound to two other carbons. Wouldn't that make it secondary?classifying amines.

It is the number of Carbons the N is attached to directly... not the number of Carbons the carbon N is attached to is attached to... wow that could probably be reworded but I'm sure you get what I'm saying... :p