• Please review the updated member agreement. Included is a new statement supporting the scientific method and evidence-based medicine. Claims or statements about disease processes should reference widely accepted scientific resources. Theoretical medical speculation is encouraged as part of the overall scientific process. However, unscientific statements that promote unfounded ideological positions or agendas may be removed.

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'd post this in the "questions" thread, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone else who has taken it.

For problem 172, my answer key says that the answer is A (primary amines). I don't see how that is possible. Looking at the picture in the passage, I can see how benzylamine is a primary amine because the N is bound to a carbon that is only bound to one other carbon. For aniline, it is bound to a carbon bound to two other carbons. Wouldn't that make it secondary? I think maybe I am mixing up the rules for classifying alcohols with classifying amines.

OnMyWayThere

OMS-III
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 2, 2003
The best coast (west coast)
Status
Originally posted by UCLAstudent

For problem 172, For aniline, it is bound to a carbon bound to two other carbons. Wouldn't that make it secondary?classifying amines.
It is the number of Carbons the N is attached to directly... not the number of Carbons the carbon N is attached to is attached to... wow that could probably be reworded but I'm sure you get what I'm saying... :p

UCLAstudent

I'm a luck dragon!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thank you, you're wonderful! :D

About the Ads

CanIMakeIt

It will get better once you are...still waiting :)
15+ Year Member
Oct 8, 2003
Status
Attending Physician
yep in amines it is little different..... it is the number of Cs directly bonded to N that counts.

About the Ads