aamc 6 bs 117

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gatorade848

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
steve has higher blood pressure than joe, how come B is not true?

B. Steve's reabsorption rate of glomerular filtrate by the peritubular capillaries would be lower than joe's

I thought high blood pressure=high volume therefore less filtrate absorption so less water will be reabsorbed to increase the already high blood volume/pressure... the answer is D which makes sense but why not B? lol

Members don't see this ad.

blood pressure affects glomerular filtration rate most directly, choice D. I'm pretty sure resorption of filtrate depends on the characteristics of the epithelial cells lining the proximal tubules (eg. pumps, carriers/transporters) and not on blood pressure. But because the rate resorption probably depends on whether or not there is filtrate to reabsorb, you would expect the rate of resorption to increase with rate of filtration up to a certain point (when the transporters are saturated at maximum capacity.

could it be that rate of solute reuptake could lead to high/low blood pressure not the other way around?

People who have high blood pressure tend to have vasoconstriction of all vasculature including the afferent arteriole that leads to the glomerulus. When the afferent arteriole is constricted it causes the GFR to decrease. When you get a decrease in GFR you also most likely get a decrease in reabsorption rate due to the decrease in volume of filtrate. I don't know if that made sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
People who have high blood pressure tend to have vasoconstriction of all vasculature including the afferent arteriole that leads to the glomerulus. When the afferent arteriole is constricted it causes the GFR to decrease. When you get a decrease in GFR you also most likely get a decrease in reabsorption rate due to the decrease in volume of filtrate. I don't know if that made sense.

but correct answer D says Steve’s glomerular filtration rate will be higher...

but correct answer D says Steve’s glomerular filtration rate will be higher...

the reabsorption is not based upon the pressure of blood in the glomerulus, its based on concentration gradients. Glomerular filtration rates will be higher when blood pressure is higher

Ya, Medicynical right. You would think after having two full units of HTN I would know something about BP. Unfortunately this is not the case. Sorry if I confused you.