AAMC 6R Questions -- please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qinnu

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Biology Question 161

It is asking about which position would have the labelled O.

I chose B. But the key is D.

2. Biology Question 162

In the question it states "The reaction of the compound shown in the above structure..."

I don't have any structure "shown above" printed out in my test. Do you guys have any structure "shown above"?

3. Biology Question 170

It is asking about whether the introduced gene spreading widely throughout the fetus.

I chose D since all tissues listed in the chart has expression of it though of variable amount. The key is A. What do you guys feel about it.

4. Biology 213
it is asking about what you need for pyruvate to be made

I chose B but the key is A.

5. Biology 215
It is asking about which hormone is not by anterior pituitary

I chose B but the key again is A

Members don't see this ad.

I remember some of the questions posted, but I can't go to the site and begin checking. But as for the one with the 'above structure" , I didn't see anything. Consider it a typo and move on. For the other questions, the answer keys make sense.

Good luck in April.

For 170, it is NOT spread widely throught the fetus. The brain, spinal cord, and muscle (I think... sorry, I don't have it in front of me) did not have it.

Originally posted by qinnu
1. Biology Question 161

It is asking about which position would have the labelled O.

I chose B. But the key is D.

I think I know which question this is but I'm not positive. I think that what happened is that the O of the methanol does a nucleophilic attack on the carbon with the hydroxy group, which is released. So the oxygen that ends up attached to the carbon at that position is the one that's radiolabeled.

3. Biology Question 170

It is asking about whether the introduced gene spreading widely throughout the fetus.

I chose D since all tissues listed in the chart has expression of it though of variable amount. The key is A. What do you guys feel about it.

I just wanted to mention that all tissues do not in fact have a variable amount of expression. I think there was an uninjected control; if you compare the "amount expressed" by the brain, spinal cord, and skeletal muscle, they're actually the same as the control (i.e. zero). The only organs that express them are in the abdominal cavity.

4. Biology 213
it is asking about what you need for pyruvate to be made

I chose B but the key is A.

Remember that certain steps in glycolysis phosphorylate glucose or a derivative, which requires ATP. So even though the net result is a gain of 2 ATP what actually happens is you put in 2 ATP first and get back 4 ATP. So ATP is required.

5. Biology 215
It is asking about which hormone is not by anterior pituitary

I chose B but the key again is A

The anterior pituitary secretes the following hormones: TSH, ACTH, LH, FSH, GH, and prolactin. TSH controls the release of thyroxin (thyroid hormone), ACTH mediates the release of all adrenal cortical hormones, of which cortisone is one, and LH (or FSH? I forget) controls release of progesterone.

Hope this helps.