AAMC 7 #46 Doppler question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lDanny

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This one passage threw me way off. sigh.

"The primary rupture in the Landers quake moved from south to north as it progressed to its full 74-km length. How would the Doppler effect influence this?"

A) By decreasing the wavelength of seismic waves propagating eastward and westward

B) By increasing the wavelength of seismic waves propagating eastward and westward

C) By decreasing the wavelength of seismic waves moving northward and increasing the wavelength of waves moving southward

D) By increasing the wavelength of seismic waves moving northward and decreasing the wavelength of waves moving southward

Members don't see this ad.

This one passage threw me way off. sigh.

"The primary rupture in the Landers quake moved from south to north as it progressed to its full 74-km length. How would the Doppler effect influence this?"

A) By decreasing the wavelength of seismic waves propagating eastward and westward

B) By increasing the wavelength of seismic waves propagating eastward and westward

C) By decreasing the wavelength of seismic waves moving northward and increasing the wavelength of waves moving southward

D) By increasing the wavelength of seismic waves moving northward and decreasing the wavelength of waves moving southward

I would assume that since the quake moved south --> north then the northbound wavelengths would be shorter (compressed) while the southbound wavelengths would be longer (since the waves are moving in the opposite direction).

Is the answer C?