AAMC 7 Biology question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sky walkerz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Question 171...

[passage crap blah...blah...blah]
The IR absorption of hydroxyl and carbonyl groups respectively occurr at

A 1700 and 2250
B 1700 and 3400
C 3400 and 2250
D 3400 and 1700

I was thinking D but the answer key says B. Anyone else have some input?

Is it possible for the AAMC to be wrong?

Thanks-
Luke the Duke

Members don't see this ad.

b and d are just switched. It gives you the hydroxy first in the question, so it's 1700, 3400 :D Read downfield to upfield:D

Yes but, isn't the carbonyl group about 1700 and the OH value about 3400?

I rarely get these things wrong so I need to clarify before "D Day"

99 percent it is wrong. never saw that on the real mcat anyway, so dont sweat it too much

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by krull
then there was something in the passage that i did not know :D

still ... i don't think the explanation provided will change the IR peaks ....... carbonyl peak is not going to shift from 1700 to 3400 just because of some intermediate reaction ........ carbonyl is carbonyl regardless of how it was formed ..... I am going to write to e-mcat about that

Anyone else has any insight

I wrote to AAMC this morning and was told to check back later for "ammendments" to the exam. Apparently there are other mistakes/unclear statements and explanations in the test.

Now, may I please have my $40 back, as I am not in the habit of paying for someone else's mistakes.

Those b*st*rds!!!

Originally posted by sky walkerz
I wrote to AAMC this morning and was told to check back later for "ammendments" to the exam. Apparently there are other mistakes/unclear statements and explanations in the test.

Now, may I please have my $40 back, as I am not in the habit of paying for someone else's mistakes.

Those b*st*rds!!!

This is what is at the e-mcat website .....

Practice Test 7 has been updated with the following changes:

Physical Sciences - #26 - New solution
Physical Sciences - #28 - New solution and answer
Biological Science - #163 - Now associated with different passage
Biological Science - #171 - New solution and answer

If you previously took this test, your scores have been updated to reflect the changes. We apologize for the inconvenience. Please contact technical support if you have any questions or problems.

printed out 7 yesterday and took it this morning. correct ans for 171 is now d

Thankfully, they changed the 163 to different sections. I was wondering for awhile what's that question was coming from as an independent question. :confused:

Yea lol, I thought it was kinda odd that I had to know the structure for Taxol. I thought AAMC was pushing it a little with that one.