AAMC #7 score | not happy not sure what to do now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rolling

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just took AAMC Test Practice #7.

In the past 6 weeks I have taken 3 tests

Kaplan 6 (6 weeks ago) |PS 9|VR 12|BS 12| Total = 33

Kaplan 7 (6 days ago) |PS 13|VR 10|BS 12| Total = 35

AAMC 7 (today) |PS 11|VR 10|BS 12| Total = 33

I just finished AAMC #7 and scored a 33. I am not content with this score. My target score is at least a 35 with a verbal score of at least 10, which I suppose really means my PS or BS needs to be around 13/12 and vice versa.

I am not sure what to do to get this done. I have 2 months left and I am worried I have plateaued and that this test score indicates the ceiling of my intellectual capacity, and therefore I am unlikely, despite how many more hours I may put into studying for this test, to score significantly higher.

Outside of Verbal, I have not done many practice passages with the sciences. My test-preparation up to this point has been working through content and practice questions. 2 weeks ago I grabbed the BR books and started with those.

Do you guys have any advice? Have any of you ever run into this situation? What should I do? At this point, I'm all out of ideas, and I don't really know what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

Don't give up. 2 months is still plenty of time. I don't think 1 aamc fl alone is enough to predict your score. Even if you do all 8 of them, your actual score might be +/- 1 or 2 from your average. Just work through the BR books and do a bunch of passages. Give it like another 2-3 weeks and take aamc 8 to identify any weaknesses. Do 9-11 the last couple of weeks.

I just finished AAMC #7 and scored a 33. I am not content with this score. My target score is at least a 35 with a verbal score of at least 10, which I suppose really means my PS or BS needs to be around 13/12 and vice versa.

I am not sure what to do to get this done. I have 2 months left and I am worried I have plateaued and that this test score indicates the ceiling of my intellectual capacity, and therefore I am unlikely, despite how many more hours I may put into studying for this test, to score significantly higher.

Outside of Verbal, I have not done many practice passages with the sciences. My test-preparation up to this point has been working through content and practice questions. 2 weeks ago I grabbed the BR books and started with those.

Do you guys have any advice? Have any of you ever run into this situation? What should I do? At this point, I'm all out of ideas, and I don't really know what to do.

Keep working hard and learn how to be content. Keep in mind as well that if a school rejects you w/ a 33 it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that your MCAT was what kept you out.

Unless you're aiming for a 45 (which is highly unrealistic by the way), you're right where you need to be. What's there to be disappointed about? I'm sure you know as well as I do that a 33 is a great score and the fact that you have 2 months extra to prepare is plenty of time to raise that 2 more points. This should seem fairly obvious... I think you just wanted positive feedback to boost your confidence but whatever lol. :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would continue to do what you are doing. When I was taking practice tests I was averagings a 34 and got a 36 once. On the real thing I got a 37. I did feel like i burned out with verbal though. I was getting a 10-12 on the practice tests and got a 9 on the real thing, but the sciences will come. If you are in the 11-12 range you know pretty much all the material and are missing 4-6 questions per test. To get over a 12, I think its really just a matter of luck if the questions hit your strong points or if you get your few guess right or wrong. Good luck!

I'm not looking for positive feedback. I really just want advice that I can use to improve my score.

I'm not looking for positive feedback. I really just want advice that I can use to improve my score.

Brain transplant?

image-01-small.jpg

Stop freaking out after everything you do.

You're like the guys trying to play the stock market who freak out when it dips 10 points only to bail out after it rebounds 200.

Calm the eff down!

Stop freaking out after everything you do.

You're like the guys trying to play the stock market who freak out when it dips 10 points only to bail out after it rebounds 200.

Calm the eff down!

Well... at least he's not the idiot that freaks out when it dips 10 points and pull all his stocks out, resulting in a loss, just before the stock market rebounds 200 pts! (DOH! :laugh:) ...Or maybe he is. He at least has the potential to be! :smuggrin:

Just don't do it, OP. Keep doing what you're doing. You have a great score. Stop "score lusting." The 10th Commandment here on SDN should go:

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's house, wife, nor his maidservant/girlfriend, nor his GPA nor MCAT Score."

Well... at least he's not the idiot that freaks out when it dips 10 points and pull all his stocks out, resulting in a loss, just before the stock market rebounds 200 pts! (DOH! :laugh:) ...Or maybe he is. He at least has the potential to be! :smuggrin:

Just don't do it, OP. Keep doing what you're doing. You have a great score. Stop "score lusting." The 10th Commandment here on SDN should go:

I used that example because I pulled out of a certain stock when it hit 18 and started to dip down into the high 17's. I made 3-4 bucks a stock, so not bad.

Now a couple of months later, it's sitting around 23, pays dividends, and the corporation has had some major acquisitions and has been doing much better than projected.

Atleast now I have $$$ for applications!

Spend your 6 weeks studying what you know you need work on and go into the test confident. It's normal to have a dip right before the exam.