Aamc 7

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cerberus

Heroic Necromancer
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am finished with this exam now (10,12,12) but had a few comments.

What the hell was with IR spect. and OH groups? There were 3 frickin questions on the same damn thing!!!!

Is it just me or was one of the verbal passages on one of the other aamc exams. I swear I read the one concerning increases in life expectancy before...

PS can blow me (specifically the end of it).

Members don't see this ad.

Yea, lol...I thought they were overdoing the whole carbonyl/OH IR frequencies and I also thought it was kinda strange that I had to know the structure of Taxol (until I turned to the next page). Anyone know what the hell gas chromatography is how they got 6% as the answer? I enjoyed reading a lot of the passages in Bio, especially the one about the vacationing researcher (kinda like that Steve and Joe passage). They should have more passages like that since they seem more geared towards our future profession. What was also the deal with all the stomach ulcer crap on the test too.

My brain crapped out on verbal towards the end and I just couldn't concentrate anymore. I ended up rereading stuff over and over like I forgot how to read english. I guess it was because I studied all day yesterday until late at night. I ended up getting like only 5 wrong on the first 2/3s of the exam and 13 wrong on the last 1/3 when my brain crapped out.

Oh well, the end result was 13p,9v,14b - i'll take it and just tell myself verbal was a once in a lifetime mishap. good luck studying guys.

blz said:
Yea, lol...I thought they were overdoing the whole carbonyl/OH IR frequencies and I also thought it was kinda strange that I had to know the structure of Taxol (until I turned to the next page).

I was cursing when I read that as a standalone question...till i flipped the page.

Yeah, I noticed that about the IR, too. Very odd. The earthquake passage was tough for me. Here's my score: 11-12 PS, 9-10 V, 13 BS. I'm pretty pleased with it. I had an exceptionally hard time with the verbal on this exam. I thought 6R's was easier. Does anyone have a scale? I just tried to compare with the stricter AAMC scales to generate my score. I tried to be conservative about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLAstudent said:
Yeah, I noticed that about the IR, too. Very odd. The earthquake passage was tough for me. Here's my score: 11-12 PS, 9-10 V, 13 BS. I'm pretty pleased with it. I had an exceptionally hard time with the verbal on this exam. I thought 6R's was easier. Does anyone have a scale? I just tried to compare with the stricter AAMC scales to generate my score. I tried to be conservative about it.

If anyone gets the scale, please let me know.
I got PS 12-13 V 9-10 B 12-13...i hate verbal

put up your raw scores, i can adjust my scores on e-mcat.com and find out what it scales out to

Hi,
quick question. does the AAMC email you AAMC exam 7? i want to order it -- is it simply emailed to you. thanks.

Premyo:

Verbal 46
PS-69
BIO-70

12P 10V 13B - 35

UCLAstudent:

11P 9V 13B - 33

jhk43:

13P 11V 12B

btw you were 1 away in PS to get a 14

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding PS: I'm noticing that I usually get questions involving calculations wrong due to lack of time and having to end up guessing. How do you guys attack calculations problems? I'm slow with numbers so anyone have any suggestions? I'm using estimates but I'm still slow. :(

Persistence101 said:
Regarding PS: I'm noticing that I usually get questions involving calculations wrong due to lack of time and having to end up guessing. How do you guys attack calculations problems? I'm slow with numbers so anyone have any suggestions? I'm using estimates but I'm still slow. :(

I had the same problem early on.. You just have to do a mess of problems and get used to their style of estimates.
One thing I learned is that you should write down each value before you cancel them out. It seams to help. If you don't like this way; just slow down. There's more than one way to skin a cat...sorry if I affended any cat lovers :smuggrin:

premyo2002 said:
I had the same problem early on.. You just have to do a mess of problems and get used to their style of estimates.
One thing I learned is that you should write down each value before you cancel them out. It seams to help. If you don't like this way; just slow down. There's more than one way to skin a cat...sorry if I affended any cat lovers :smuggrin:

Thanks for the tip, premyo. What do you mean by writing down each value before cancelling them out? Could you provide an example? Thanks very much! :clap:

whats the distance between two charges(2)(4) when F=12

F=Kq1q2/r^2 -->r = SQRT Kq1q2/F -->
plug in values SQRT(9x10^9) (2)(4)/12
then cancel SQRT(9x10^9) (2)(1)/3 , then do the work.

My problem is I used to multiply the top in my head first

SQRT72x10^9/12 =

The example wasn't so great, but usually I would get a value that wasn't so easy to divide and I would do what you say you did :horns:

i second the last note...don't just start multiplying numbers out. you will find lots of numbers will cancel or reduce. write out the entire eqs and then start to solve. you end up with simple numbers like the last example..... 9/3*2 x10^9. could do in your head once you see all the numbers laid out.
this still hold true with other equations that look complicated... like
(4.8x10-3)(3.5x10^2)/(2.5x10-3)
4.8/2.5 is a little less than 2, cancel the 10-3, answer should be little less than 700 (actuall is 672. answer choices would be like 700, 70, 350, 1400).

remember, scientific notation is your friend. just make sure you know how to move the decimal in your sleep (like .25x10^5 = 2.5x10^4)

also, don't start making lists of all the data you get in a passage. you might only need 10% of it to answer the questions.

I thought the PS was very difficult and the verbal also (thought my verbal score stayed consistent) But the PS was a lot harder than 6r i thought.

I took it today...

AAMC 7: 13P, 10V, 11B

basically, over the past month, ive gotten a lot better at PS, a little better at BS, and possibly regressed in VR (12,12,11,10,10)... im going to do EK 101 passages until i die from this point on.

i absolutely need to finish the VR, ive been cutting it ridiculously close. my timing is shot.

H. pylori can kiss my ass. Those questions were incredibily vague.

Yea it's a pretty weird scale. From what I've seen from entering in a lot of people's scores, the scale is pretty lenient towards the upper end, that is a 14 on the sciences is only a 72/77 (which is usually pretty lenient in comparison to the other aamc exams). However, the rest of the scale is on the stricter end (for example: you need I think a 67/77 to get a 12 when usually a 65/77 is a 12).

This was one of the easiest bio sections I've ever taken...so much easier than the real thing.

blz said:
put up your raw scores, i can adjust my scores on e-mcat.com and find out what it scales out to

blz- i pm'd you with my scores. i'm don't think i'm that ready to take it on sat, but i'm not sure if august is an option for me. i guess it depends on how good/bad my scores are from this test. thanks for your help!!

-k

p.s. does everyone think 7R is pretty representative of how the test will be on sat?