1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

AAMC 8 BS question

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by natusss, Aug 11, 2006.

1. natusss

natusss Member
    7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Could someone explain 153 and 154 to me? I dont think I even understand what they are asking.
    Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Creightonite

Creightonite Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

wow, i am not alone on those two questions!

4. Mah

Mah Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    153- basically asking why "kinetically-favored" products are favored?
    That's because they have a lower activation energy as compared to other products and are also formed quickly

154- asking why "thermodynamically-favored" products are favored?
    Because they are more stable at equilibrium.

An example could be bromination and chlorination. Chlorination is kinetically favored, hence it is produced much more quickly, usually happens at terminal carbons and produce mixture of compounds. On the other hand, bromination is thermodynamically favored, thus it usually happens at the tertiary carbon, after the formation of tertiary carbocation, which is the most stable.

I hope some of this makes sense. Correct me if im wrong though.

5. kaybam20

kaybam20 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Pre-Medical

Also,kinetically favored prodeucts are firmed because they have a low activation enegy giving them the opportunity to from early at low temperatue. However at higher temperatures and under equilibrium condition, product formation always favor the stable product. Hence underr equilibrium some Kineticaly favored product are eventually transformed in to the more stable product.

6. natusss

natusss Member
    7+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    So...
    the kinetically favored product has lower activaton energy and is therefore able to go faster.
    the thermodynamically favored product is more stable, so if you increase the temperature and/or allow the reaction to reach eq you will see more of the thermo product?

Thanks for helping! The answer key did not make any sense!

7. Creightonite

Creightonite Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I got confused on this question because i thought kinetics and thermodynamics are different things. So I ended up throwing out the answers that were brining them together.