AAMC 8 just killed me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

instigata

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I just took AAMC 8 and i Fu*cked up hard :mad: I have been steadily increasing from a 20 to a 28 to a 30 on the princeton review diagnostics. I got a 31 on AAMC 3r and I just took this test and got a 26! Is this really indicative of the real mcat? Was the verbal hard for everybody else? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

so far i've done four aamc verbals (3r, 5r, 6r, and 8), I maintained a 10 in all of them but 8, where I slipped to a 7! It was definitely hard for me, I was getting kinda spacey when I got to the history, sports-religion, and behavior passages. THere's a thread on SDN somewhere that says that aamc 8 has a higher percentage of "harder" problems than other aamc, I think verbal was something like 50%. If I get a verbal test like 8 on the 19th i'm so screwed.

I was destroyed by this test as well. Been hovering in the 8-9 range for the verbal sections in 5R-6R, but got a low 7 on this one. Didn't finish a couple of passages. Timing an issue for anyone else?

suicidal cell said:
I was destroyed by this test as well. Been hovering in the 8-9 range for the verbal sections in 5R-6R, but got a low 7 on this one. Didn't finish a couple of passages. Timing an issue for anyone else?

Yeah timing was definitely an issue. I always finish all passages and this time I couldn't finish the 10 question passage...damn I got 3/10 on that one :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm with y'all. I took it this morning and got destroyed on all three sections. Broke my upward streak big time: I'm back in the sub-30's :eek: . I did notice a lot of "hard" questions as one previous poster put it.

HAHA... am I the only one that feels like this test was so much easier and better than the TPR diag tests?

I hated the tpr tests... got 17, 22, 19 on the first three... AAMC 8 scored a 27 =]

I just hope my score improves for test 7 and test 9.

viciouz said:
HAHA... am I the only one that feels like this test was so much easier and better than the TPR diag tests?

I hated the tpr tests... got 17, 22, 19 on the first three... AAMC 8 scored a 27 =]

I just hope my score improves for test 7 and test 9.
did u take any othher aamcs?

nope... none yet... going to do 6r 7 and 9 before the test tho. Hopefully... HOPEFULLY... my 9 on AAMC 8 wasn't a luck type thing.

if u got a 9 on aamc 8, you'll prolly do really well on 5, and well on 6

Well... i think my test stratedgy is finally paying off for verbal... took a while to get used too... hopefully by doing 6 i'll prove to myself it wasn't a fluke

viciouz said:
Well... i think my test stratedgy is finally paying off for verbal... took a while to get used too... hopefully by doing 6 i'll prove to myself it wasn't a fluke

TPR tests are killer, they're meant to be that way and it's doubled by the fact that you know less to begin with

I got 17,18,24 on my TPR's
and then 31 on both 7 and 8....

After I got the first 31 I was worried it was a fluke too... but 8 went just as well... I haven't let off on the studying but seeing that improvement isn't too unusual so keep at it and I bet the other aamc's will stay in that range

Do the passages that seem easy to you... do the easy questions in that passage first... and if you read a question and don't know what your doing and feel like you've spent enough time... move on... and go to the next passage...

I try to complete 5 passages total... then do about more than half the questions on 3 more passages, and completely skip one full passage that has the really tough questions and stuff (you know the KILLER passage).

Also I do practive verbal passages every other day, like it was the real mcat too.

i also thought #8 was more on the easy side (overall) but verbal wasn't so great (P11 V8 B11)

ugh, verbal is killing me :mad:

supafield said:
TPR tests are killer, they're meant to be that way and it's doubled by the fact that you know less to begin with

I got 17,18,24 on my TPR's
and then 31 on both 7 and 8....

After I got the first 31 I was worried it was a fluke too... but 8 went just as well... I haven't let off on the studying but seeing that improvement isn't too unusual so keep at it and I bet the other aamc's will stay in that range

My goal i am shooting for is about a 34... but it doesn't look like i'll make it :oops: ... unless...well unless... eh... you never know right? :p

Members don't see this ad :)
My score on the April 2006 MCAT was the exact same as my AAMC 8 practice score (for all three sections too).

we were actually supposed to take aamc 7 today for tpr, but they told us last minute that they changed it to aamc 8. I thought it was only our class, but after reading on here, it looks like it was done on a national scale. I haven't taken 7 yet, but judging from the posts it seems as if 7 is prolly easier...a tpr conspiracy??? so that our last diag will be the highest?

Just don't get stuck on a particular passage... don't be afraid to read the first paragraph... look at the questions... and then skip it... its what I do.

btw... thanks... i feel motivated... like i need to study now HAHA :laugh:

viciouz said:
My goal i am shooting for is about a 34... but it doesn't look like i'll make it :oops: ... unless...well unless... eh... you never know right? :p

Don't be so sure....
I would have said 2 weeks ago my goal was 30 and I'd need to get lucky to do it.... but I then got two 31's...... haha so accordingly my goal has become 11's across the board.... and a 12 here or there wouldn't hurt right? lol I gotta make sure I write good essays too..... as some med schools in ontario tend to check them out... the one I want to go to inparticular wouldn't interview anyone under a Q......

I ran on about my own situation.... but practice and review like mad.... and I wouldn't say a 34 is outta reach...

Thanks for the encouragement... Imma try hard for the next two weeks =]

instigata said:
Hey everybody,

I just took AAMC 8 and i Fu*cked up hard :mad: I have been steadily increasing from a 20 to a 28 to a 30 on the princeton review diagnostics. I got a 31 on AAMC 3r and I just took this test and got a 26! Is this really indicative of the real mcat? Was the verbal hard for everybody else? thanks

I have taken the April06 MCAT and can tell you that AAMC 8 is not the way the real test is! Real test is just a bit harder than AAMC 7. AAMC 8 is full of bull **** questions and most of the times, questions have more than 1 correct answer and the correct answer is only accredited!!!

I scored 14PS and 12BS on AAMC7 but only 10PS and 10BS on AAMC 8.

sekem said:
I have taken the April06 MCAT and can tell you that AAMC 8 is not the way the real test is! Real test is just a bit harder than AAMC 7. AAMC 8 is full of bull **** questions and most of the times, questions have more than 1 correct answer and the correct answer is only accredited!!!

Sekem, that's really encouraging! Congrats! :)

Yeah, I usually never have timing problems, but on AAMC 8 verbal, I had to wing an entire passage. I barely read the passage at all, just had to rush thru the q's. It was definitely harder than the other AAMCs.

Also, did anyone else notice that the structure of the PS section of 8 is different than 3-6? Seems more reading comprehension based to me...I dunno, just an observation. The first several passages had almost no computations, just reading comp and interpreting tables and stuff.

8 was one of my highest and 9 was one of my worst - and everyone said 9 was easier than 8

so it was probably a fluke - be encouraged =-)

sekem said:

again--it depends on what test form you get. I have taken all the aamc tests and the PS on 8 is by far the most similar to the PS I had when the I took the mcat last August.

sekem said:

I agree with sekem. The April 06 was no where near as tough as AAMC 8. My MCAT instructor referred to 8 as an *ss kicker. Its a combo of all the hard ones from previous tests probably. It's a good learning experience to go over the answers though.

AAMC 6 - 31
AAMC 7 - 30
AAMC 8 - 25 - I've been hitting low 30s on the AAMCs and also other practice tests. So I don't think 8 is very indicative of my performance in two weeks.

I've taken AAMC 7 and 8, and neither really seemed particularly more difficult than the other...

Maybe it's the scale; 7 allows for three or so errors for a 15 on the physical sciences, while 8 doesn't even allow one error for a 15.

gujuDoc said:
This time I did good on the PS since I understood the material better, but last year I took this test and got a 6 on PS and a 9 on PS on the real deal.

I remember getting an 8 on the BS from this test last year and got a 9 on the real deal.

I don't think I got an increase on test 8 this time due to having taken it before cuz there were still things I didn't know like parts of the double split experiment, but because I think I've learned to adapt to Shrike's method of not spending too much time reading the science passages and going straight to the questions.

I can now answer most questions with only brief examination of the passages since I understand the material better this time and see common patterns that are showing up on all the AAMC tests.
Btw did anyone notice how there was one free lance question in the PS section that was same as on 6R??? I found that funny.

I actually think I would have had an 11 if I didn't make some stupid questions on the PS section of this test.

I still have to take the other 2 sections.

I'll test test9 in full testing conditions and also a couple more Kaplan tests or 2 of the A-D tests. I am still trying to decide.

I'm going to go over solutions again for everything I missed and spend a day just to review material again.
I have found this to be true too. :thumbup:

do you think i should try that - skimming the passage and hitting the questions - this late in the game?

im running out of time on PS - ive always been a slow test taker. i take time to absorb the passage then the question. i also usually do really well on tests - even if im the last person out of the room and the prof is waiting on me so he can go home.

so yeah - skimming the PS passage - good idea?

I just printed out 8 and am gonna take it. I'll report back tonight w/ my score.

Wish me luck. Based on this thread, I'm expecting to get reamed by this test.

MyInitialsAreJC said:
do you think i should try that - skimming the passage and hitting the questions - this late in the game?

im running out of time on PS - ive always been a slow test taker. i take time to absorb the passage then the question. i also usually do really well on tests - even if im the last person out of the room and the prof is waiting on me so he can go home.
This is exactly how I am :oops: . You have to get a feel for what kind of passage it is. Some of them you have to fully understand because the questions are based off the ideas in the passage. Others (the majority) are asking basic questions from which you can derive the answer from the equations given in the passage or from you basic knowledge on said subject. Sometimes in these passages they will ask something that appears to be incomprehensible or unanswerable unless you have fully read and understood the passage, but you can usually find these answers within 15 seconds in the passage by skimming. For me this has only worked for PS and not so much BS.

After examining my scores in more detail on the AAMC 8... i've come to the following conclusions;

Physical sciences - I get more than 90% of the physics questions right... but Gchem questions involving ions and bases etc f' me up.

Verbal - I get all the hard questions right... but I screw up on every single EASY question cuz I think I am thinking too hard.

Biological sciences - I am extremely good at Ochem ( didn't miss any questions) but my Nervious system, Digestive system and Circulatory system need more work, along with other misc. things.

viciouz said:
After examining my scores in more detail on the AAMC 8... i've come to the following conclusions;

Physical sciences - I get more than 90% of the physics questions right... but Gchem questions involving ions and bases etc f' me up.

Verbal - I get all the hard questions right... but I screw up on every single EASY question cuz I think I am thinking too hard.

Biological sciences - I am extremely good at Ochem ( didn't miss any questions) but my Nervious system, Digestive system and Circulatory system need more work, along with other misc. things.
Great! Knowing your weaknesses is half the battle. Now you just have to perfect these areas and you'll be fine. :luck:

Hey quick question guys.

197) Dewlaps that relfect UV light would evolve by natural selection only if:

I put D [individuals with UV-reflective dewlaps mated more frequently than did individuals without them] but the Answer is A [individuals with UV-reflective dewlaps produced more offspring than did individuals without them]... but D and A are similar? How would I know not to make this same mistake again?

viciouz said:
Hey quick question guys.

197) Dewlaps that relfect UV light would evolve by natural selection only if:

I put D [individuals with UV-reflective dewlaps mated more frequently than did individuals without them] but the Answer is A [individuals with UV-reflective dewlaps produced more offspring than did individuals without them]... but D and A are similar? How would I know not to make this same mistake again?

I remember coming to that question...
I went with A because fitness is a matter of passing on genes.... I think it comes down to the fact that mating doesn't assure offspring?? I may be wrong though

I was going to save 8 to take right before the MCAT but I have another test I can take then... and take 8 earlier. This thread looks like people don't really like the 8 all that much... and I don't want to get too rattled that close to the MCAT. What do you think?

Bluesmurf314 said:
I was going to save 8 to take right before the MCAT but I have another test I can take then... and take 8 earlier. This thread looks like people don't really like the 8 all that much... and I don't want to get too rattled that close to the MCAT. What do you think?

Take it now. Thats what I would do.

I took the AAMC 8 on the 20th of April this year...2 days before my actual MCAT. I scored 9 9 9 = 27 :eek: . I was bummed right before the MCAT because of it, but I got over it before the actual test began. I ended up getting 11 11 10 = 32. So don't worry about it too much.

Bluesmurf314 said:

I would take 8 soon if I were you. Are you planning on taking an easier test near the mcat (3R)?

superwillis said:
I would take 8 soon if I were you. Are you planning on taking an easier test near the mcat (3R)?

already took the 3R... I just ordered 6R on paper though (I was going to order 7 but they don't have it on paper and I didn't want to burn a whole ink cartridge on it).

MyInitialsAreJC said:

yes, just practice doing so full time before the exam. Our g. chem instructor at PR has told us that people learn to master material well enough to by-pass the passage and do the questions. I think it is best not to overwhelm yourself with the detail of a passage because this is designed to slow you down and oftentimes questions are not even relevant to the passage.

Just finished with 8. Scores are P 10, V 10, B 11. I didn't think it was particularly harder than any other practice AAMC MCAT that I have taken. Take that back - the verbal was really hard, but I did surprisingly well.

I found that i missed most of my questions in BS because of misreading the passage. I haven't gone over PS or verbal yet.

I would love to get a 30+ on the real thing, this my score on this is encouraging!

i agree, 8 was definately harder....i dropped to a 10 on the PS but somehow my verbal improved to 12 and so did my bio

anyways, 9 was easier only because I managed to pay careful attention to the questions... most of my mistakes on test 8 were because I didnt pay careful attention to what was being asked, the answer choices and what was in the passage!

Thanks to all those who already took the exam and responded! it makes me feel better that these tests are much like the real ones.
test 9- PS 14, VR 13, BS 12
test 7- PS 11, VR 11, BS 11
i took each test with a week between, 9 being done last week. For the last two weeks id ont know what im gonn do other than review!

Took 8 on Friday...Verbal was again my high score, getting a 9 on this one...

PS and BS continue to kick my ass.

I wish at this point I would have not wasted my time watching all those Kaplan "lessons"...

Verbal is easy for me...trying to re-learn all the other stuff has killed me.

I've got to figure out how not to get so tired taking the test, and not have to go to the bathroom in the middle of a section...

I think I'm burning out.

supafield said:
I remember coming to that question...
I went with A because fitness is a matter of passing on genes.... I think it comes down to the fact that mating doesn't assure offspring?? I may be wrong though

Yeah, it's just logic. The passage says that natural selection is driven by the passing on of genes. So if your two potential answers involve mating or the production of offspring (fertile offspring i think it says), then obviously it should be the fertile offspring. Mating can be unsuccessful, but once you have a kid that can itself have a kid...you've done your part.

PS: aamc 8r has been one of my highest scores so far. I think (with the exception of 3r), it's so random who finds what tests difficult...that it's all just polarized because certain tests neglect to ask questions about certain areas....so people weak in those areas do a lot better.
For instance, 8r didn't have anything on magnetism or complicated organic, so i made it through unscathed.

AAMC 8 was just different, not necessarily bad. More answers could be determined from the passage than any other AAMC i've seen so far (since 3r).

I think the key is not to worry about the really tough questions, because i'm pretty sure i got them all wrong, and i still ended up with a
PS 12 VR 12 BS 11