1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

AAMC 8 Question 206

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by pandulce321, Aug 5, 2006.

1. pandulce321

pandulce321 Member
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I don't understand the answer. Why isn't it B? Please help :(

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. estairella

estairella Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Plus end grows faster than minus end. In answer B, it moves to the left. In answers A and C, the concentration is too low, it depolymerizes (shrinks).

So that's why D is the correct answer.

4. ih8mcat

ih8mcat Dynomite!
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    that's question 204, 206 is c because it has something to do with that markovinikov/anti-markovnikov mumbo jumbo which you can follow from the examples they provide for you at the beginning of the passage...I doubt this type of passage is going to show up because we don't have to know alkenes anymore

5. estairella

estairella Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Errm, it's 206 on my file. It depends on whether yours goes from 1-216 (writing samples counted) or 1-214.

In any case, if the OP was referring to THAT question, it's not B) oxymercuration/demercuration because that follows Markovnikov addition... same reason for A). The product is a secondary alcohol.. Markovnikov addition would've yielded a tertiary alcohol.

I think Markovnikov/antiMarkovnikov should still be known, because it's pretty straight forward. BH3 (hydroboration) + hydrogen peroxide or HBr + peroxide = anti (remember peroxide)... all others = Markovnikov.

6. pandulce321

pandulce321 Member
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    It was the alkene question. Thanks!

7. supafield

supafield Dream Big
    7+ Year Member

We don't have to know alkenes anymore?? TPR has 3 chapters of rxns and the second chapter is all about alkenes.... markovnikov and all that... it's a good portion of the orgo...

8. chaeymaey

chaeymaey 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Where does it say we don't need to know alkenes? We had a TPR lecture on it.

9. ih8mcat

ih8mcat Dynomite!
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

TPR materials are outdated, i'm taking the course this summer as well. When I brought this to the attention of my instructor, he gave me a really bs answer.

http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/

select biological sciences at the bottom of the page, I think the orgo content that we have to know is at the end of that pdf. Also according to this doc we don't have to know benzene chem either.

10. chaeymaey

chaeymaey 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
  11. supafield

supafield Dream Big
    7+ Year Member

Well thank you for that post.... I have a big study sheet involving Hydroboration and Oxymercuration.... among other things
    I read the listing on the AAMC site and it specifically says no Alkenes
    Damn TPR... lol
    Does that mean E1, and E2 reactions are toast too? Because they form alkenes...

Better start learning carboxylic acids, aldehydes and ketones a lot better lol....