Aamc 9 #127

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

typicalindian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The finches observed by Darwin on the Galapagos Islands are an example of adaptive ratiation. In order to set up conditions that would produce adaptive radiation, it would be necessary to place members of:"

A. One species in one rapidly changing environment
B. One species in several different environments
C. Several very similar species in the same environment
D. Several unlike species in one environment to compete for the same resources

Answer: B

This was a discrete and I had no idea what "adaptive radiation" meant. Is there any place that you guys know of where we can get a list of definitions for terms like these for evolution?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm surprised you don't know about Darwin's finches. I knew about this from bio classes in undergrad. I thought this was a textbook classic. I guess not.

I'm surprised you don't know about Darwin's finches. I knew about this from bio classes in undergrad. I thought this was a textbook classic. I guess not.

I knew he did something with finches. I sorta slept through bio during freshman year :rolleyes:

The finches observed by Darwin on the Galapagos Islands are an example of adaptive ratiation. In order to set up conditions that would produce adaptive radiation, it would be necessary to place members of:"

A. One species in one rapidly changing environment
B. One species in several different environments
C. Several very similar species in the same environment
D. Several unlike species in one environment to compete for the same resources

Answer: B

This was a discrete and I had no idea what "adaptive radiation" meant. Is there any place that you guys know of where we can get a list of definitions for terms like these for evolution?

It's on the MCAT BS content outline, Evolution->A (Evolution)->2 (Speciation)->c (Adapation and Specialization), I think. That's where it would slot in, I'd think.

Or process of elimination would lead you B as well.