1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

AAMC 9 # 172 question

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by westphi, Aug 12, 2006.

1. westphi

westphi Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I don't know if this is allowed, but my solutions sheet did not include # 172 for AAMC 9? I tried to reason through it, but I'm still stuck between B) chloride -because when bicarb enters erythrocytes a chloride is expelled or C) hydrogen ions -because bicarb combines with H+ to make H20 and CO2 and be explled in the lungs.

Anyone know the answer? Thanks and good luck next week!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. IckeyShuffle

IckeyShuffle MS1 t-minus 1.5 months..
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    bicarbonate neutralizes the acid

4. bunnybear

bunnybear Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I have to agree with you, there are bicarbonate and choloride exchangers, and after all the table does have Cl- as part of the fluid. So, i'm a little confused about that question as well.

5. supafield

supafield Dream Big
    7+ Year Member

Lol, I don't know if it's just me.... but the only reason I've heard of Bicarbonate is because it's such an efficient pH regulator with respiration....

I think the chloride role would be considered much more minor in comparison...