AAMC 9 verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IckeyShuffle

MS1 t-minus 1.5 months..
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been getting 9 in verbal and then all of a sudden I dropped down to A 7 on AAMC 9!!. I am really paranoid about this. Anyone else notice a significant drop in AAMC 9 verbal? My sciences are consistently above 10s so i am fine there. Just scared about verbal :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

allennh said:
I have been getting 9 in verbal and then all of a sudden I dropped down to A 7 on AAMC 9!!. I am really paranoid about this. Anyone else notice a significant drop in AAMC 9 verbal? My sciences are consistently above 10s so i am fine there. Just scared about verbal :scared:

AAMC 7 10, AAMC 8 11, AAMC 6 12, AAMC 9 - 9 arghhh

I didn't think the passages were that bad
just some of the questions which is different....

the others seem to have tougher reading but then easier answers.... which makes you think it was too tough and then you're surprised in a good way...
then the reading in 9 seems to get a little easier so I thought the section went even better and I fall 3 pts....

Verbals tricky but aamc 9 seemed trickier than usual as far as I'm concerned

Haha like this....

Don't read this if you haven't done the test and plan on doing it

2 quotes

"was the incarnation of the simple, honest, independent....."
"The cash crop converted the yeoman into a small entrepreneur"

However when I chose an answer that says the yeoman farmer was an honest entrepreneur its wrong....

Boo AAMC... you're wrong
There I said it

Is this a bad test to take 2 days before the exam? I might change my test-taking plan if it is =( How does it compare to AAMC 8 VR? I messed that one up pretty badly.

Members don't see this ad :)
4s4 said:
Is this a bad test to take 2 days before the exam? I might change my test-taking plan if it is =( How does it compare to AAMC 8 VR? I messed that one up pretty badly.

I think verbal really sets up to the individual... I've heard people complain about 8 verbal but personally did really well.... and then 9 didn't go so hot...
but there are people out there getting good verbal scores on 9 so I would still give it a try

Suaveness said:
Those curves aren't based on people who took that exam?
Then do you think the curve on the real MCAT is easier or harder?
Because on AAMC9 I got 61/77 on the Bio part and I was expecting that to be a good 11, but no, it's only a 10, also, I was expecting a 38 or 39/60 on verbal is an 8, but no it's a 7. What about the real MCAT, is the curve as bad. I have noticed that the curves for 8 and 9 are almost identical??
how is that possible?

dude i am devastated!!! ive been getting 9's on allll the ek stuff just to get an 8 on 9R, does anyone else feel like this?

omg, i thought everyone said 9 was easy...i took it today...WOW. not easy.

verbal sucked major ass. i was getting 9's...and then it dropped to a 7! and a low 7 at that. i missed 10 questions total on those two passages with 10 questions each.

how do you guys stay focused? on the first three passages...i was doing really well and then :eek: . i can't believe i thought i was ready for saturday.

i think i might try taking the test again..what do you guys think?

tootsies! said:
omg, i thought everyone said 9 was easy...i took it today...WOW. not easy.

verbal sucked major ass. i was getting 9's...and then it dropped to a 7! and a low 7 at that. i missed 10 questions total on those two passages with 10 questions each.

how do you guys stay focused? on the first three passages...i was doing really well and then :eek: . i can't believe i thought i was ready for saturday.

i think i might try taking the test again..what do you guys think?

lol I'm beginning to think 9 has this effect on a lot of people
first 21 questions I had two wrong..... then got 12 wrong over the next 19 questions....

I did 5R today and got an 11..... 6R: 12 7: 10, 8:11 so I'm thinking 9 just may have been a little tougher... for certain people....
given that I've only gotten one 9 I plan on going in thinking I can get a 10+ and not discouraged by 9

anyone who's taken the mcat -
is the AAMC 9 verbal similar in passage types and/or question types to the real deal?

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought I was the only one losing hair over this. I took the test in April but it didn't go so well (V8, P9, B8). My practices since then have been all over the place...some days I'll get a 10 on something & the next week I'll drop back to 9 or 8. Anyway, as far as AAMC 9 verbal goes, I took the test yesterday & verbal reminded me a lot of this year's april test. For example, my copy of the april test had two passages with 10 q's each & just like AAMC 9, the passages weren't hard to read but the questions were a whole other story.

Anyway, I think its time for me to find some food & think about what I'm going to do next sunday when I don't have to study :)

j-weezy said:
anyone who's taken the mcat -
is the AAMC 9 verbal similar in passage types and/or question types to the real deal?

Here are my thought on 9.
I did think it had a different "feel" then other AAMC tests. I found myself going back to the passage A LOT which is something I don't do a lot. I thought more of the questions were detailed based and could be found almost verbatim in the passage. This is in contrast to most EK practice tests where going back doesn't really help.
This is just my 2 cents.

AAMC 9 verbal was my worst score ever on Verbal...3 points lower than any other test minimum.

Hacked me off, I was hoping for a confidence boost after all my studying the last few weeks...now, I just want the damned thing over so I can start studying for next time...

I swear, you need to take it once just to figure out how to study for it.

yeah been using the EK method too, I've been getting 8's at first and then consistent 9's.... on 9R i got a 7.... idk

My April MCAT was very similar to AAMC 9. The passages were relatively easy, but the questions were tough with ambiguous answer choices. This is why I always say on this forum that it's essential to study question stem/answer choice trends. That helped me a TON.

hmm..this is strange to see that many think aamc 9 was a downer. for me, i've done the best i've ever done on 9. i do agree that the verbal passages are trickier...but i broke double digits across the board on this test..which i took today. this is coming from a girl who's last mcat was 23. :oops: i hope this good streak lasts till saturday!

supafield said:
Haha like this....

Don't read this if you haven't done the test and plan on doing it

2 quotes

However when I chose an answer that says the yeoman farmer was an honest entrepreneur its wrong....

Boo AAMC... you're wrong
There I said it

They were asking for the qualities of the typical yeoman "myth." He was not an entrepeneur, he only farmed food for himself and his family. Later, it was realized that this was rapidly changing and that he was actually trying to maximize profit (becoming an entrepeneur), which actually suggested a movement AWAY from the yeoman myth and more towards the more modern capitalistic society.

I don't know if that helps.

Ok now I know what you guys were talking about. The questions they asked were WEIRD, not "hard" per say. I felt that EK and the other AAMC ones (all of them excluding 7, 8 etc) had harder questions, but I did the worse on this one. Actually nvm, I got 8 on AAMC 8, but anyway, yeah, there were a lot more verbatim answers. It felt like the whole style was changed. If this is what the real MCAT is gonna be like, I probably would've been better off using Kaplan, which might be why my score is still like my Kaplan FL VR's. Oh well, I'll just have to hope for the best on Saturday.

9 really wasn't that bad, there were those 2 passages with the extra questions that were pretty tricky, however, the rest seemed easier than your average passage. PS 9 was also quite easy I thought. 8 seemed like the hardest I've taken, for all sections.

supafield said:

Boo AAMC... you're wrong
There I said it

I believe you're taking quotes out of context. If the question said, "According to the passage, yeoman farmers became", I would agree. But the question refers to the agrarian myth, not reality. The myth says nothing about yeomans (yeomen?) being entrepreneurs... in fact, it says the exact opposite - that's why the last paragraph discusses the ultimate DEMISE of the mythical agrarian yeoman DUE to entrepreneurship.

you're right about that, the question was asking what the portrayl of the yoeman farmer was as, the the passage said the yoeman was turned into a entrepeneur by cash crops, but that's not what the "myth" of the yoeman farmer was, thats what he become as a result of a changing econmy. AAMC is right, at least on that question.

Hey, yah I thought PT9 was a lot harder when I wrote it, but I was pleasantly surprised at the end PS12 VR11 BS12.... and only one question away from the next score up, in every section. Now that frustrating, when three questions make the difference between a 35 and a 38. Sigh. But 35 is an awesome mark so hopefully it lasts till Saturday. :scared:

I dropped a point on AAMC 9 VR too. Still, I was trying the EK method whereas I was mapping for all of my other full lengths. I think the EK method has good goals, but it encourages you to overlook details that will kill you on questions that either ask you to provide support for an author's arguments or define phrases and terms in context. Getting your answers from the question stems only works half the time. I won't be doing the EK method on the real deal.

the think with the EK method is, you still should read the entire passage, if i was looking for detail or not, i'm still gonna read it and it's not going to take that much longer. It's more a mindset, just be aware as you read what the author is thinking, what they're goal is in writing the passage, that sort of thing, and then try and pick up some detail. Also, there should be enough time that for a few questions you can go back and get a detail from the passage.

allennh said:

yeae i took AAMC # 9 the other day and I didnt do so well on the verabl .. it seems pretty hard plus I think I am burned out ..so just take a brake since you alreday doing well on the sciences :)

Yeah, 9 was hard......passage 6 killed me.

That, and when I got to the agrarian farmer one, the only thing I could think of was:

"W-w-w-wait. Eighteenth-century agrarian business. But I guess it's all the same principles. Lemme ask you: Are you at all concerned about an uprising?"

And then's when I put the pencil down and said, I need a break. :laugh:

gujuDoc said:
I retook the AAMC 9 verbal today. well retook the whole test but mainly because I wanted to retake the verbal and got a 9. I think that's more representative then what I got the other day (6) because I was more alert and with it when I took it today.

The other day I had no sleep so I was backskipping on passages.

The 2 passages that totally confused me were the one about rain clouds and the second 10 question passage.

It always seems to me like one of the 10Q passages is fairly straightforward, and the other is always really difficult.