AAMC Admission Statistics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KnightDoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
AAMC publishes tons of tables slicing and dicing application and matriculation data many different ways. Does anyone happen to know if they make detailed information available to undergraduate schools regarding their applicants? I have noticed that some schools make very detailed, granular data available to premeds through the advising office, and other schools (like mine!) say no such data exists (which I am pretty sure cannot be true!).

My question is - does anyone know whether whatever data UG premed advising offices do have comes directly from applicants (where they applied, whether they were accepted, etc.), or whether AAMC makes it available to them, since they definitely have it and I'm pretty sure we sign away our right to privacy as part of using AMCAS?

Members don't see this ad.

AMCAS does not force you to check the box allowing information be released to UG. However the UG can require it as a condition of releasing a committee letter, etc. If you have given permission Advisors would see this about a specific student (ignore dates, this is a fake sample)

View attachment 297223

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...re-health_advisor_deck_-_282019_final_pdf.pdf

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...65ea18462/cyms-advisor-webinar-12-17-2019.pdf
Thank you VERY much!!!! After the cycle is over, I assume they can see information on all schools applied and accepted, correct? Some UGs have very specific info on their premeds, and I'm wondering if that is all self-reported, or if it comes from an objective source like AAMC.

Thank you VERY much!!!! After the cycle is over, I assume they can see information on all schools applied and accepted, correct? Some UGs have very specific info on their premeds, and I'm wondering if that is all self-reported, or if it comes from an objective source like AAMC.
Yes, AAMC releases this information to premed advisors, but only if the applicants opt into this on their AMCAS applications.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One other cautionary note --

It's very tempting to place faith in a college's reported percentage of successful pre-meds. But resist! Those numbers are easily manipulated by:
  • Only counting those students who are 'accepted' into a pre-med advising program or who receive a committee letter, and by tightly controlling which students 'qualify' for those things.
  • Harsh academic weed-out classes.

Reactions: 4 users
One other cautionary note --

It's very tempting to place faith in a college's reported percentage of successful pre-meds. But resist! Those numbers are easily manipulated by:
  • Only counting those students who are 'accepted' into a pre-med advising program or who receive a committee letter, and by tightly controlling which students 'qualify' for those things.
  • Harsh academic weed-out classes.
Oh boy, do I know this well from my research while choosing a UG!! Some of the best schools are some of the worst offenders! :)

Now I am try to source good granular level data on specific med schools by GPA, MCAT, gap years, etc. for my UG, since I know admissions data varies significantly by UG due to med schools' preference for some UGs over others. I have friends who can get this data from their premed advisers; my office tells me they have no such data, which pretty clearly is not true. I'm not sure if I'll ever get to see data from my school, but it is helpful to know that they do get something from AAMC, even if everyone doesn't opt in.

Reactions: 1 user
AMCAS does not force you to check the box allowing information be released to UG. However the UG can require it as a condition of releasing a committee letter, etc. If you have given permission Advisors would see this about a specific student (ignore dates, this is a fake sample)

View attachment 297223

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...re-health_advisor_deck_-_282019_final_pdf.pdf

https://aamc-orange.global.ssl.fast...65ea18462/cyms-advisor-webinar-12-17-2019.pdf
Is that the only data they see if we check off that box?