AAMC/AMCAS and Arrogancy--why we're all going through this!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Fly

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
During a Lexus-Nexus search of articles relating to our AMCAS nightmares, I found this in an article from the Columbus Dispatch:

"Mark Notestine, assistant dean for admissions and records at Ohio State University's medical school, said he and others cautioned against speedy implementation of the new system.

"The problem was . . . AMCAS literally refused to develop a contingency plan and really took sort of an arrogant attitude," said Notestine, who also sits on the American Association of Medical Colleges' committee on admission. [end of story]

Can you believe this?? The only thing that was mitigating my disdain for AMCAS was that I thought this was something that they were forced into, as far as their previous computer system having failed. But to know this is perhaps entirely due to their arrogance...that is really upsetting.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

Members don't see this ad.

It was a REALLY good idea. Almost all application systems should have been moved to the web by now. It was just poor implementation and I agree that a contingency plan should have been implemented for this year at least. No one would have anticipated this though. It is unprecedented in terms of online applications.

It sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by none:
•It was a REALLY good idea. Almost all application systems should have been moved to the web by now. It was just poor implementation and I agree that a contingency plan should have been implemented for this year at least. No one would have anticipated this though. It is unprecedented in terms of online applications.•

Well, when AACOMAS introduced their system last year, they also had the paper app. option for applicants in case of an unanticipated screw up. So its not like AMCAS went into this when none had before.