AAMC Assessment - Biology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnovikov

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which of the following changes would NOT interfere with the repeated transmission of an impulse at the vertebrate neuromuscular junction?

A) Addition of cholinesterase blocker
B) Addition of a toxin that blocks the release of acetylcholine
C) An increase in acetylcholine receptor sites on the motor end plate
D) Addition of substance that binds to acetylcholine receptor sites

So seemed like a pretty easy question and I narrowed it down to A or C but chose A since adding receptors just didn't sit right with me. This is what the explanation says about why A is wrong and C is right: "Addition of a cholinesterase blocker would produce a buildup of acetylcholine in the synapse and prevent receptors from responding to impulses, so option A is incorrect. The only chance that would not result in blockage of the impulse transmission is option C, which is the correct answer. An increase in acetylcholine receptors on the postsynaptic membrane would enhance transmission, not interfere with it."

So how does a buildup of acetylcholine prevent receptors from responding to impulses since its the binding of acetylcholine that causes them to induce a response... Someone please explain :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think the logic is that if the synapse is saturated with acetylcholine, it will induce an absolute refractory period where an action potential will not be generated at receptor.