AAMC chemistry question pack worth it ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kosal7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title states, is it worth it to purchase the aamc chemistry question pack since it is from the old MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Okay, cool I was just hesitant because people said that the section bank is more representative in terms of difficulty. Thank you all for responding!

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, cool I was just hesitant because people said that the section bank is more representative in terms of difficulty. Thank you all for responding!
psh.. yeah representative of less than 25% of the exam!

What do you mean ?
I mean 25% of the exam will look like the SB, even less than 25%. You need to remind yourself that this exam is for junior and senior. And reading comprehension is key. Like, you can miss every SB question on real deal and still have a 508; it's not true the other way around though.

I mean 25% of the exam will look like the SB, even less than 25%. You need to remind yourself that this exam is for junior and senior. And reading comprehension is key. Like, you can miss every SB question on real deal and still have a 508; it's not true the other way around though.
So basically the majority of the questions will be more along the difficulty of the question packs ?

So basically the majority of the questions will be more along the difficulty of the question packs ?
No, they will look like the Q pack but be a lot more difficult but few will be closed to the SB. But you won't see lot's of SB passage on there. But to answer your question once for all, i'll delineate a few points.

-The SB are nothing but biochem. I hope you agree with me here, the SB were added to the OG, because the Q pack (recycled old test) dint include biochem. So SB = way for you to practice biochem.

-The second step is to look at AAMC content outline:

B/B
Discipline:
First-semester biochemistry, 25%
Introductory biology, 65%
General chemistry, 5%
Organic chemistry, 5%

C/P
Discipline:
Introductory biology, 5%
General chemistry, 30%
Organic chemistry, 15%
Introductory physics, 25%

CARS:
Doesnt Test any of the stuff on the SB

PSY:
Discipline:
Introductory psychology, 65%**
Introductory sociology, 30%
Introductory biology, 5%

One thing to note is that biochem (or SB in this case, include stuff such as Knowing your AA function or structure); So, the like-hood of seeing 4 hardcore SB passage is very low. For example, let's assume that each section had 10 passage , over-all, you;d see 2.5 SB passages on BB, and 2.5 on C/P, and these include stuff such as name this aa, or else.

Pay close attention to FIRST SEMESTER BIOCHEM, so long as you have a great reading comprehension, or used to reading Scientific article , you need to understand that GCHEM, and BIO are more VALUABLE than BIOCHEM or SB (point 1).

So yes, the majority of the question will be a difficult version of the Q pack, and won't come from the SB (which is literally biochem = AND NOT REPRESENTATIVE OF THE TEST, but part of it). So, don;t make the same mistake i did, by focusing on 25% of the exam while ignoring the other 75%. still, you ought to make sure, that you;re reading scientific journals and stuff.

So, do the SB , understand them, and spend as much time on them as on GCHEM, OCHEM and PHYSICS.

Reactions: 1 users
No, they will look like the Q pack but be a lot more difficult but few will be closed to the SB. But you won't see lot's of SB passage on there. But to answer your question once for all, i'll delineate a few points.

-The SB are nothing but biochem. I hope you agree with me here, the SB were added to the OG, because the Q pack (recycled old test) dint include biochem. So SB = way for you to practice biochem.

-The second step is to look at AAMC content outline:

B/B
Discipline:
Introductory biology, 65%
General chemistry, 5%
Organic chemistry, 5%

C/P
Discipline:
Introductory biology, 5%
General chemistry, 30%
Organic chemistry, 15%
Introductory physics, 25%

CARS:
Doesnt Test any of the stuff on the SB

PSY:
Discipline:
Introductory psychology, 65%**
Introductory sociology, 30%
Introductory biology, 5%

One thing to note is that biochem (or SB in this case, include stuff such as Knowing your AA function or structure); So, the like-hood of seeing 4 hardcore SB passage is very low. For example, let's assume that each section had 10 passage , over-all, you;d see 2.5 SB passages on BB, and 2.5 on C/P, and these include stuff such as name this aa, or else.

Pay close attention to FIRST SEMESTER BIOCHEM, so long as you have a great reading comprehension, or used to reading Scientific article , you need to understand that GCHEM, and BIO are more VALUABLE than BIOCHEM or SB (point 1).

So yes, the majority of the question will be a difficult version of the Q pack, and won't come from the SB (which is literally biochem = AND NOT REPRESENTATIVE OF THE TEST, but part of it). So, don;t make the same mistake i did, by focusing on 25% of the exam while ignoring the other 75%. still, you ought to make sure, that you;re reading scientific journals and stuff.

So, do the SB , understand them, and spend as much time on them as on GCHEM, OCHEM and PHYSICS.

I see what you are saying now and that is what I was doing, thank you for taking the time to elaborate. Because I would have been super screwed