aamc ethnicity, race and disadvantage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

veyep

Got Books?
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello guys, I was wondering how would this questions effect your application. Do you give your race, ethnicity and disadvantage status or just leave it out? what are you thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
hello guys, I was wondering how would this questions effect your application. Do you give your race, ethnicity and disadvantage status or just leave it out? what are you thoughts on this?

You do put your race, ethnicity, and disadvantage status. It may help you out (ie if your not like everyone else aka white and very advantaged).

And my thoughts? No comment.

You do put your race, ethnicity, and disadvantage status. It may help you out (ie if your not like everyone else aka white and very advantaged).

And my thoughts? No comment.

a wise choice for the sake of this thread. i doubt others will follow.

Asian is even worse, you gotta be a grade machine to get looked at, otherwise its a no go :mad:.

I did wonder what would have happened if I had put "black" on my application to colleges.
Do they even check something like that?

I wish I could go back. :(
Being white sucks...

...sometimes. :rofl:

No, but when a white guy shows up to a med school interview with your name they will do this :confused: then :idea: then :mad: then :beat::slap::wtf:

I love living in a society that values equality, and where everybody has an equal chance.

I'm curious though, do blacks/puerto ricans just have really good EC's to make up for the grades, or am I missing something? :confused:

Nope. I told them all I did was play basketball and that I could dance well so they didn't even require the MCAT from me

Slide3.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I love living in a society that values equality, and where everybody has an equal chance.

I'm curious though, do blacks/puerto ricans just have really good EC's to make up for the grades, or am I missing something? :confused:

I just mention my gang-banging relatives in my PS and mention that they have no problem doing anything to get me what I want. So far it's worked to my advantage

Nope. I told them all I did was play basketball and that I could dance well so they didn't even require the MCAT from me

Nice reply! LOL I guess your highness, Mornhavon, forgot about the oppression and racism that these groups went through and still go through everyday. LOL

Asian is even worse, you gotta be a grade machine to get looked at, otherwise its a no go :mad:.

I grew up on the rough side of town. Sob story short: if it wasn't for the color of my skin, I would be an URM.

I grew up on the rough side of town. Sob story short: if it wasn't for the color of my skin, I would be an URM.

Being disadvantaged and being URM are two different things and have two separate things to click on the app IIRC

You can be one of us if you improve on your ballin' form

ballin.jpg

This topic is so damn pathetic. Only in America would we dumb down standards of a very demanding profession to not hurt peoples feelings.

If you have a brain and can write/speak English you should be held to the EXACT same standards as everyone else.

Decades ago there was this country called America...where did it go?

I think that because I am female, I should get a free ride for thousands of years of male oppression. That would be nice, but I don't think it is that fair anymore. I can only think of a couple of times that I was blatantly discriminated against because of my sex.

I think that everyone should be looked at the same way.

Aren't the initial screenings blinded, anyway?

Being disadvantaged and being URM are two different things and have two separate things to click on the app IIRC

You can be one of us if you improve on your ballin' form

ballin.jpg

Ironically enough, I'd say about 90% of the Laker fans I know are asian. I just assumed you were asian by your avatar.

/yes, I know

I think that because I am female, I should get a free ride for thousands of years of male oppression. That would be nice, but I don't think it is that fair anymore. I can only think of a couple of times that I was blatantly discriminated against because of my sex.

I think that everyone should be looked at the same way.

I hate it when women look at me like I'm a piece of meat! I have a brain you know! and sometimes it has thoughts.

Asian is even worse, you gotta be a grade machine to get looked at.

I thought you just checked off "asian" and they just automatically assume you have high grades...

a wise choice for the sake of this thread. i doubt others will follow.
Mbeas tells the future...

Personally, I think it's a bit more complicated than being 'color blind'. As for my thoughts on the issue...well, they don't matter.

Sure being white means I never had 'disadvantaged' status, which may or may not have hurt/helped me as compared to an URM with equal stats. However, chances are that the URM with equal stats may or may not have had a harder road to those equal stats.

The truth is hardly ever quite as true as it appears from our own little corner of the universe.

This is one of the few times, I am going to milk my situation, I am a black female, grew up as a ward of the state in foster care. I am gong to make my situation seem as tragic as possible. Is that wrong? Maybe but who cares. If this negative situation is going to turn around as a MAJOR positive then why not.

I am pretty sure, me mentoring a lot of disadvantage children is going to help a lot to, a lot of self pitty but not to much :cool:

This topic is so damn pathetic. Only in America would we dumb down standards of a very demanding profession to not hurt peoples feelings.

If you have a brain and can write/speak English you should be held to the EXACT same standards as everyone else.

Decades ago there was this country called America...where did it go?

th_u_mad_troll_dance.gif

Your spelling and grammar = tragic.

There is nothing wrong with my spelling nor my grammar. Typing on a cellphone that has a mind of its own, does not reflect that of its owner.

But to correct you, using the wrong form of "to,too, or two" has nothing to do with my spelling, rather my grammar. So, before you try and correct me for something that my phone auto corrected. Make sure you know what you're talking about.

So your attempt to correct me=Fail

No, but when a white guy shows up to a med school interview with your name they will do this :confused: then :idea: then :mad: then :beat::slap::wtf:

Well one of my buddies is taking Gen Chem I lab this semester and he has a white TA named Terrell.

Nice reply! LOL I guess your highness, Mornhavon, forgot about the oppression and racism that these groups went through and still go through everyday. LOL

LOLZ. WUT iz slavery??? [/sarcasm]

attachment.php

There is nothing wrong with my spelling nor my grammar. Typing on a cellphone that has a mind of its own, does not reflect that of its owner.

But to correct you, using the wrong form of "to,too, or two" has nothing to do with my spelling, rather my grammar. So, before you try and correct me for something that my phone auto corrected. Make sure you know what you're talking about.

So your attempt to correct me=Fail

In his defense, the especially astute individual would correct these errors. I frequently post on SDN from my phone, and I usually do so error-free.

Just sayin'.

I think I'm Big Meech, Larry Hoover, whipping work, halleluiah, one nation, under god, real Gz getting money from the Fing start.
I think I'm Big Meech, Larry Hoover, whipping work, halleluiah, one nation, under god, real Gz getting money from the Fing start.

Last edited: