AAMC FACTS Chart

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glasshalfMD

40 weeks til MD?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question is for Catalystic, especially. I posted it in here rather than PMing it because I thought it may help others as well.

I've been wondering a lot about my chances this application cycle, as has everyone on this neurotic site. I've put a lot of weight into this FACTS chart that Cat likes to share with those wondering their chances based on stats alone, just as a basic gauge of how optimistic I should be about things.

[the aforementioned chart can be found here: http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table24-mcatgpagridall2007-09.pdf ]

What I have been wondering is how I can extrapolate a better idea of my chances given a number of variables:
1. applied early in the cycle
2. my numbers are at the top end of one row/column (i.e. MCAT of 29, which lies at the top of the 27-29 range; and GPA of 3.78, which lies at the top of the 3.60-3.79 range)

I assume that though I fall in the box with a % acceptance of 53.1, mine would be higher given these two scenarios - I just don't know quite how to figure out how much higher. Call it neuroses, even for an SDNer, or just attention to detail - I just like to know these things and I'm starting to get a little worried about my lack of interview invitations aside from the one I had earlier this month.

If anyone (Cat?) could shed some light on a more accurate number to help my spirits, I would really appreciate it. I'm not necessarily looking for specifics on MY chances, just a helpful tool for those in my position, worried about how they stand.

Thanks a lot, and have a great weekend! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Good question, and complicated to answer. But, I, too, have considered this question long and hard, and kept my eyes open for what makes one's chances better. This is why I particularly appreciate it when folks post who beat "the odds," because all of us can learn from them.

We have to keep in mind that the stats cited are based on MCAT (not subscores) and cGPA (not BCPM) alone, for those applying at any time of the cycle, and that these stats are aggregated for all applicants including those with special modifying factors. From my observations, this includes positive mitigating factors like:

Special Masters program completion with a GPA>3.5,
stand-out extracurriculars,
non-traditional age,
legacy factor,
membership in an underrepresented population group (not just "race"),
non-native English speakers (especially Spanish),
interest in rural med,
first family member to attend college,
economic disadvantage,
people with PhDs,
ex-military,
participants in Teach for America, Americorps, or the Peace Corps, (or similar)
steep upward GPA trend or a very-high BCPM GPA,
those with forgiving state schools,
etc.

Additionally, those whose data make up the successful applicant statistics are likely those who did everything they could to make their applications the best they could be. It would be a mistake to look at the stats and decide that your chances were good enough that you could cease efforts at improving your application in every way possible. An additional assumption is that you have excellent Letters of Recommendation, a compelling Personal Statement, applied early and broadly, and will interview well.

It's not possible to attach a specific + factor to these components, as each adcomm member would look at them differently.

If anyone has additonal observations, please share.

Thanks, I really appreciate your response. It's always good to get more of an idea of those positive factors that ADCOMs look for that maybe the average applicant didn't even think about. And I completely agree that some of the positives are a given (good LORs, etc.)

Out of curiosity - are you a pediatrician? I've noticed in some other threads you seem to compliment the choice if an applicant says he or she wants to go into peds. It's what I want to do, too - I love the kiddos. :p

I'm crossing my fingers for luck for myself and others this app cycle :xf:

Out of curiosity - are you a pediatrician? I've noticed in some other threads you seem to compliment the choice if an applicant says he or she wants to go into peds. It's what I want to do, too - I love the kiddos. :p
LOL. I think i've only posted that twice, so you must have caught both of them.