AAMC FAP Application - Include the COVID-19 Emergency Grant and/or the GEER Grant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SentientWave

Reaction score
I hope to apply this cycle and I need financial assistance, so I hope I will get approved for the FAP (my EFC has always been zero). In the section that asks for the applicant's financials, I am not sure if the GEER Grant or COVID-19 Emergency Grant should be included as one of the financial assistances you have received anywhere, I suppose I should include it on the "total value of assistance from federal, state, or local welfare program" section or total Financial Aid section.

Members don't see this ad.

I hope to apply this cycle and I need financial assistance, so I hope I will get approved for the FAP (my EFC has always been zero). In the section that asks for the applicant's financials, I am not sure if the GEER Grant or COVID-19 Emergency Grant should be included as one of the financial assistances you have received anywhere, I suppose I should include it on the "total value of assistance from federal, state, or local welfare program" section or total Financial Aid section.
You should ask the AAMC for an answer and post what they told you here.

Reactions: 1 users
You should ask the AAMC for an answer and post what they told you here.
My guess would be that everything counts. Why wouldn't it?

OTOH, the qualifications for FAP are so liberal (4X the poverty line) that it seems very likely that anyone whose EFC has always been zero will easily qualify, with or without these payments. TBH, no matter how poor anyone feels, you are really not "poor" if your family income, all in, is greater than 400% of the poverty line, since the federal definition of "poor" is literally what the poverty line is supposed to represent. For example, the magic number is $106K for a family of 4.

Reactions: 1 user
that isnt a welfare program though?

FAP includes your parents though. so if you're independent you still have to put them in there. i know a bunch of people who didnt get FAP because they can't do it on their own financials.