AAMC Fee-Assist and Parental Tax Extension Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

microbezzzz

Reaction score
Hello All,

I intend to apply to medical schools (MSTP) this summer/fall and should qualify for the fee assist program. I will not have any issues filing my taxes (2020 year) for this application, however, my parents had not intended to file their taxes before May and planned to file for an extension. If I were to wait to submit my apps etc. until they file, it is likely that I would be submitting my apps late. Has anyone else experienced a similar problem with their parent's tax filing status? Is there a way to use the previous year's data? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you are applying MSTP you should apply early as well know how to google an answer to your question

Fee Assistance Program Applicant Financial Information

if you intend to file a tax return but have not yet done so, select Not Yet. Prior to the April federal tax filing deadline (which is typically April 15), the AAMC will accept W-2 and 1099 income data
Right! Unfortunately, you didn't answer his question!!!! His parents will NOT be filing prior to the April deadline. :)

"After the federal tax filing deadline has passed you will be unable to select Not Yet. Those who are required to file a tax return will also be required to submit an IRS 1040 Federal Tax Form to the Fee Assistance Program before their application can be processed."

OP - you are apparently SOL, unless, maybe, there will be a COVID extension on the deadline, like there was last year. Of course, you could always ask your parents to help you out with the fees if their extension costs you the FAP. Otherwise, you need to decide if the FAP is worth the delay, which could last all the way to mid October, which would probably kill you for the cycle, even if you somehow met some deadlines (you'd have to wait for FAP to be approved before you could even submit primaries).

Basically, no prior year tax return, no FAP. The VAST majority of people eligible for FAP do not have tax returns that are so complicated that they require an extension. As a result, accommodating for that would just open AAMC up to all kinds of gaming where everyone would literally have a choice of which return to produce (last year or the year before), so they just don't do it. You can always call and ask, but, if they allowed for it, I'm pretty sure they would say so on the website.

Last edited:
Right! Unfortunately, you didn't answer his question!!!! His parents will NOT be filing prior to the April deadline. :)

"After the federal tax filing deadline has passed you will be unable to select Not Yet. Those who are required to file a tax return will also be required to submit an IRS 1040 Federal Tax Form to the Fee Assistance Program before their application can be processed."

OP - you are apparently SOL, unless, maybe, there will be a COVID extension on the deadline, like there was last year. Of course, you could always ask your parents to help you out with the fees if their extension costs you the FAP. Otherwise, you need to decide if the FAP is worth the delay, which could last all the way to mid October, which would probably kill you for the cycle, even if you somehow met some deadlines (you'd have to wait for FAP to be approved before you could even submit primaries).

Basically, no prior year tax return, no FAP. The VAST majority of people eligible for FAP do not have tax returns that are so complicated that they require an extension. As a result, accommodating for that would just open AAMC up to all kinds of gaming where everyone would literally have a choice of which return to produce (last year or the year before), so they just don't do it. You can always call and ask, but, if they allowed for it, I'm pretty sure they would say so on the website.
Appreciate the response! Unfortunately, my parents dont have the financial means to help with my application fees so that will be out of the question. Seems like I better forgo the FAP application. Oh well, I guess! Thanks