AAMC FL 1 CARS Passage 6

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted647690

I don't know if you remember this passage, but it says in the passage "....not airy generalizations that transcend student experience and lie beyond their powers of criticism....". How does this not imply that D would be correct? In my opinion, the author couldn't have said it any more plainly.
I suppose C requires less thinking to come to the answer, but this makes me mad. D is not incorrect, but I guess C is also correct and easier to see?
C is much more literal, and doesn't even require understanding the main idea of the passage.

I don't know how to fix this problem for this section. I feel like I will get questions wrong because you could see what the author is saying from one perspective, but it's not necessarily the same way the AAMC sees it.

When I saw what D said, I assumed that traveling and experiencing other cultures referred to something younger students didn't really do, because that fits in with the context of the entire passage. It makes sense in my mind.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• cars 2.PNG
    cars 2.PNG
    117.6 KB · Views: 266
  • cars 3.PNG
    cars 3.PNG
    81.2 KB · Views: 229
  • cars passage.PNG
    cars passage.PNG
    54.1 KB · Views: 239
Hi, it states in the passage you posted that "the artificial boundary between the roles of student and citizen, thereby encouraging the latter in the habits of the former". This is almost word for word for choice "C". No where in that paragraph (not sure if the others elaborate) that professors travel more than students do, except that they teach "abstract theories about distant peoples..." Remember, you need to choose the best answer and while "D" is debatable, "C" is clearly the best as that paragraph pushes the idea that there is a clear disconnect in what students learn; they learn a lot of abstract theory, not rooted in evidence etc, which after they leave school, take with them as people.

Hi, it states in the passage you posted that "the artificial boundary between the roles of student and citizen, thereby encouraging the latter in the habits of the former". This is almost word for word for choice "C". No where in that paragraph (not sure if the others elaborate) that professors travel more than students do, except that they teach "abstract theories about distant peoples..." Remember, you need to choose the best answer and while "D" is debatable, "C" is clearly the best as that paragraph pushes the idea that there is a clear disconnect in what students learn; they learn a lot of abstract theory, not rooted in evidence etc, which after they leave school, take with them as people.

I see, thank you. I have an issue with picking the answer that sticks out the most, like in this case. I selected D because it made sense to me, it was the first answer that looked right, and I just wanted to keep up with my timing.