AAMC FL 1 vs FL 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sugar12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one is a more accurate predictor? I got:

FL 1: 512 (129/126/129/128)
FL 2: 515 (129/129/130/127)

CARS seems to be very high for FL 2 and I'm typically not great at CARS. I feel like it's going to give me false security... Also how is the psych section on the real thing? I take my MCAT in 5 days.

Members don't see this ad.

Both of them are pretty accurate. One test might have hit upon your strengths more compared to the other. Averaging is a good idea.

Psych/son can vary depending on your test. On my test day, I got an odd psych/soc section that had data in paragraph form and a lot of 50/50 answers, so it was more like reading comprehension. Other test takers on that day had a straightforward psych/soc. I think the scaling makes up for it though.

Which one is a more accurate predictor? I got:

FL 1: 512 (129/126/129/128)
FL 2: 515 (129/129/130/127)

CARS seems to be very high for FL 2 and I'm typically not great at CARS. I feel like it's going to give me false security... Also how is the psych section on the real thing? I take my MCAT in 5 days.

I jumped 6 points in cars from FL1 to FL2.. hoping that the real deal cars is more like Fl2! Wasn't huge on the FL2 PS. The Bio felt a lot more difficult on FL2 but I scored 2 points better on it than in FL1. Weird how these tests seem to produce a lot of similar results.

Members don't see this ad :)
I keep hearing FL 2 is more accurate, but it seems like everyone improves from FL 1 ro FL 2. Hopefully because we got better. My FL 2 was better as well. If you look at the spreadsheet most people hit their FL 2 score or a little better.

My real MCAT was a lot different than both.. but if I had to pick, I'd say FL 2 was closer. That said, the above poster is right, you have no idea what content areas might be hit on test day, so my impression can vary widely from yours.

Your test score should be approximately an average of AAMC FL 1 and AAMC FL 2. My MCAT (took it in June) was very similar to AAMC FL 2, especially with regards to psy/soc. In my opinion, AAMC FL 2 psy/soc is dramatically different than all other AAMC Psy/Soc materials which focus on data analysis and definitions. Make sure you're good with the AAMC FL 2 psy/soc as mine was near identical with respect to passage length, style, and, most importantly, question style!

My MCAT on 8/11 was extremely similar to AAMC FL #2. Although some of my friends had different versions of the C/P section, I personally had a lot of biochem, very little physics or calculations. B/B was very experimental, passage-based question heavy as usual and was pretty tough. P/S is looking more and more like CARS with passage-based questions, more difficulty narrowing down answers to 50/50 and definitions I've never seen before.

My MCAT on 8/11 was extremely similar to AAMC FL #2. Although some of my friends had different versions of the C/P section, I personally had a lot of biochem, very little physics or calculations. B/B was very experimental, passage-based question heavy as usual and was pretty tough. P/S is looking more and more like CARS with passage-based questions, more difficulty narrowing down answers to 50/50 and definitions I've never seen before.
I can only hope that I get an exam that's similar to FL 2!

I might actually cry if I can replicate my FL 2 score on my actual exam!