AAMC FL 2 before AAMC FL 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tobi222

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that people's scores jump from taking AAMC FL1 to AAMC FL2, given that they have time to study in between.

I accidentally wrote down the wrong email when I purchased AAMC FL 1 and I knew they wouldn't be able to switch it until later so I went ahead and bought AAMC FL 2 and took that one instead. Needless to say, it was very difficult and I did not get a good score. I'm going to take the AAMC FL 1 tomorrow (a week difference between the FL 2) and I'm just wondering: if I improve in my FL 1, would it be similar to those who improved going from FL 1 to FL 2 or is FL 2 supposed to be harder?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think FL2 is supposed to be harder. I wouldn't worry about it. Any improvement you see from FL2 to FL1 is more likely due to your effort and familiarity with the test as opposed to the test itself being so much easier. Good luck!

One isn't harder, they are just different. I remember FL2 CP being more theory questions versus FL1 more calculations. the BB was different also.
FL2 was almost identical to my real deal content wise but a little harder...CP was a mix of FL1 and FL2 but these things are different for each exam.

One isn't harder, they are just different. I remember FL2 CP being more theory questions versus FL1 more calculations. the BB was different also.
FL2 was almost identical to my real deal content wise but a little harder...CP was a mix of FL1 and FL2 but these things are different for each exam.

I've been reviewing both my FL to see what I missed. Should I re-take them to get a good feel for it again since you (and others that I've noticed) have said that their real exam was similar to the AAMC FL1/2. Also I've noticed that I've gotten some questions wrong on my FL due to having a brain fart. I'm not sure how to correct this or prevent it from happening on the real exam? For example, I got a very SIMPLE question regarding Ohm's Law, which I very much know. The question stated that if R was constant, what would happen to V if I increased? I somehow wrote that V would decrease and I don't know why I did that. Now I feel like the biggest dumba** for selecting the wrong choice when in reality, I knew the correct answer :-(

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that people's scores jump from taking AAMC FL1 to AAMC FL2, given that they have time to study in between.

I accidentally wrote down the wrong email when I purchased AAMC FL 1 and I knew they wouldn't be able to switch it until later so I went ahead and bought AAMC FL 2 and took that one instead. Needless to say, it was very difficult and I did not get a good score. I'm going to take the AAMC FL 1 tomorrow (a week difference between the FL 2) and I'm just wondering: if I improve in my FL 1, would it be similar to those who improved going from FL 1 to FL 2 or is FL 2 supposed to be harder?

This is classic overthinking.

Breathe.

Don't over analyze or overthink the order you take the FLs in. All three are generally considered to be predictive, so they should all have the same scaled scoring. Meaning even if one of them is harder (which is likely the case, but may differ from person to person), the score it returns after completion is scaled and adjusted to make up for it.

FL1+2 are almost equivalent in difficulty, FL3 is slightly different (especially Psych/Soc) and MOST representative But you should just plan to do well on all of them lol. There shouldn't be that much fluctuation in your scores and should only be an improvement if you've studied more, no matter the difficulty of the test (due to the inherent curves!)