AAMC FL average = Good predictor of real score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumb0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know most people say that one's AAMC practice exam average ends up being their score on the real thing +/- 2. However, I feel like LATELY there has been a trend of people scoring well below their AAMC average. My good friend was averaging 36 with a high of 41, and he ended up scoring 28 on test day. He retook it and got a 30.

I'm currently averaging 33 across two AAMC exams: I got the same distribution on both AAMC #3 and #5 , 10-12-11.

At this rate, can I expect to score a 33 on the real deal?

Members don't see this ad.

I really hate the idea of AAMC averaging for indicator of test scores. AAMC tests should be used for diagnostic purposes. They break down all the content that you missed. For example, if you keep getting respiration wrong, then you need to focus a lot more on respiration. Or perhaps, it is hypothesis testing that you lack. In this case, with improvement of content knowledge your AAMC break down at least for BS and PS should improve when you drill in your weak points and reinforce your strong ones.

I don't know why your friend got a 28, it may be a bad day. Or he might have gotten a test with content he was weaker on and that messed him up. Sometimes it can just be from misinterpreting graph/passage that, like those that are needed to answer 3 questions. I do think if your friend retake he'll end up higher.

I don't think it's funny that he got a lower score and may need to retake. It's hard not to achieve the ideal score because this means having to spend some time of his life on the test, when there are so much more things in life than MCAT. But, I am very confident he'll do well the second time around.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not laughing at his misfortune, I just have a hard time believing he took it twice and got nowhere near his averages. It's very bizarre. Getting a 36 on practice tests means the person has an extremely deep understanding of the content and has really good critical thinking skills.

Also OP, I would suggest taking more practice tests because its very possible to go get a higher score if you started out with a 33.

I agree it may be bizarre. Like most anecdotes posted on the internet, people ask advice when they are in a somewhat bizarre situation. Thank you for clarifying your thoughts.

I know most people say that one's AAMC practice exam average ends up being their score on the real thing +/- 2. However, I feel like LATELY there has been a trend of people scoring well below their AAMC average. My good friend was averaging 36 with a high of 41, and he ended up scoring 28 on test day. He retook it and got a 30.

I'm currently averaging 33 across two AAMC exams: I got the same distribution on both AAMC #3 and #5 , 10-12-11.

At this rate, can I expect to score a 33 on the real deal?

Did your friend stimulate real testing conditions? (Taking the test around the same time as day of test, not doing anything during the practice exam they wouldn't do on the real one, never seen the test before taking it, etc.)

I closely replicated test day conditions and made sure to minimize test day anxiety so it had little effect on my performance. AAMC average 33.75 (34.75 excluding a fluke 30 on AAMC 11), got a 35 on the real thing with a similar breakdown.

I initially thought exactly what @Aerus is alluding to.
I see a lot of students studying for the test who take their AAMC practice tests section-by-section whenever they choose, or don't take it timed, or take it and pause it. I.e. they are not using it like a real test and therefore should not take their scores to reflect what they are capable of on a real test.
AAMC practice tests are great diagnostics. If fact, they are the best and that's with regards to the style of questions asked, the language used, and the ability to see your weak and strong areas. But it's treating the practice tests like a real MCAT test that allows them to be a predictive tool as well.

Did your friend stimulate real testing conditions? (Taking the test around the same time as day of test, not doing anything during the practice exam they wouldn't do on the real one, never seen the test before taking it, etc.)

Yes, my friend simulated test conditions just like the real MCAT. 70 minutes, 10 minute break, 60 minutes, 10 minute break, 70 minutes. The reason his score was lower than his aamc average was because he had a bad performance on VR. That is his weak point, and he got nervous on test day and run out of time, so he has to guess on a multiple VR questions.

If his score dropped 8 points from his expected score (based off his practice test average) just because of a poor VR section then you can consider this an exception to the (loose) positive correlation between practice test average and MCAT score.

I'd suggest taking more practice AAMC's before jumping to any conclusions. My test scores actually kept going up until the end, so you never know!

Lol, your friend was averaging 36 and got 28? That's funny.

My friend avged 34 and got 40 on the real thing. He never got higher than 35 on FLs.
I am one of those who disagree with "FL avg predicts what you are most likely to get on the real thing".

I got 4 pts lower than my avg.