AAMC FL2 #18 (PS)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Annoyed by this one as I had picked the correct answer originally but changed it because I thought that schemas only apply to our conscious thoughts, while the Implicit Association Test would be testing our implicit biases, which I assumed were unconscious. What am I missing here?

6d78dfa3fdec9e13380dad538a8a7c56.png

9810dcaf3dcf85fd97d2cc522e6633ff.png

Members don't see this ad.

That is the best answer because the others don't really fit.

A. interference - new thing messes up with old thing or vice versa so you can't learn/remember the other
B. Dissonance - I think of it as cognitive dissonance, which makes this hard to choose
C. Modeling - learning by imitation of sorts, but who are you imitating there?
D. Schemas - fits best because it is something in each participants mind that causes them to pair an attribute with a picture, which explains the quick response time; it can be overweight with stubborn or vice versa

Reactions: 1 user
That is the best answer because the others don't really fit.

A. interference - new thing messes up with old thing or vice versa so you can't learn/remember the other
B. Dissonance - I think of it as cognitive dissonance, which makes this hard to choose
C. Modeling - learning by imitation of sorts, but who are you imitating there?
D. Schemas - fits best because it is something in each participants mind that causes them to pair an attribute with a picture, which explains the quick response time; it can be overweight with stubborn or vice versa

But if you are deciding between 2 answer choices, is that not cognitive dissonance?

Implicit biases may be subconscious, however they are reliant upon pre-existing networks of thoughts and associations and clusters of knowledge.

At the end of the third paragraph of this passage, they state that a "shorter response time for a particular combination of image and attribute indicates a stronger link in the participant's mind."

So they see images which connect to their schemas instantaneously and make their responses as soon as possible.

You may construct schemas consciously, but you certainly rely on them when making split-second unconscious decisions.

Plus, none of the other choices make sense.