Mar 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Okay, I know there have been previous threads about how the AAMC FL's stand up the real thing. But I have a more specific question...

I've read many times that the AAMC practice FL's are pretty easy compared to the real thing...do you think that's actually true in terms of content? Or do you think the real thing just seems harder because of test day anxiety/adrenaline (even though it has comparable material to the released AAMC FL's)?

Just curious, since I'm taking the test on 4/10...Plus I just read that Kaplan sucks big time for VR and that's been my only source of VR practice! I don't think I should be too worried, though, given that I've been doing all right with AAMC's...

Oncoloman

Mar 29, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
It's both. I suggest you read the MCAT cub 3/27 thread for some more opinions on the most recent test. Just start from 3/27 and you'll run into the discussion about the test.

Haha. I can vouch for that. The AAMC practice Verbals are very easy compared to the real thing. I once read 15 straight verbal passages once within the practice modules and never got tired, but during the mcat there were some extremely long ultra-detailed ones that were just a nag.The Kaplan advanced has nothing on the real thing either. After 5 my eyes were exhausted. Its almost as if the test writters knew that they would annoy us. I remember reading one passage and saying to myself "Did they puposely fill in extra detail just for kicks and giggles?:smuggrin:"

Mar 10, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I agree with Onco man. Much longer, detailed, specific. Yeah and sometimes the info is junk. The AAMC are easier because the questions and content aren't as difficult. Also test nerves/adrenaline don't exist as much b/c it's just not the real test. I think nerves/adrenaline stopped me from hitting higher on the sciences. Hopefully you can control that somehow.

NYR56

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Or do you think the real thing just seems harder because of test day anxiety/adrenaline (even though it has comparable material to the released AAMC FL's)?
That's what I think, although I seem to be in the minority opinion here. I took the 1/29 MCAT and I honestly felt all three sections were exactly the same level as the AAMC tests. I think the added stress of the test day will show itself the most during the VR, where your concentration is most critical, hence people saying it's longer/harder. I scored where I thought I would score based on the AAMC tests and when I walked out of the test I thought it seemed like just another AAMC test.

OP
C
Mar 22, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
thanks for your thoughts, guys!

so what i'm hearing is that the verbal is definitely at lot longer but in general, for all sections, the passages are just a lot more intimidating? (ie: don't freak out and just sift for the relevant information, more so than on the usual practice tests)

madllama

7+ Year Member
Nov 12, 2009
Status
I took it 3/27 and I'll say that it was a bit harder than the aamc tests but it wasn't whole levels harder. Pretty comparable really. Test day anxiety was certainly a factor for me. A couple of the more advanced calculations in the PS section I just blanked on and had to skip. Luckily I had sufficient time at the end to go back and tackle most of them after my mind had settled into the usual groove. Oh and expect anything for ochem. I think some of the tests before 3/27 were cutting down on the ochem passages but my bs section had significant ochem, which was quite unfortunate for me.

PhilIvey

Poker Aficionado
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2006
Status
Okay, I know there have been previous threads about how the AAMC FL's stand up the real thing. But I have a more specific question...

I've read many times that the AAMC practice FL's are pretty easy compared to the real thing...do you think that's actually true in terms of content? Or do you think the real thing just seems harder because of test day anxiety/adrenaline (even though it has comparable material to the released AAMC FL's)?

Just curious, since I'm taking the test on 4/10...Plus I just read that Kaplan sucks big time for VR and that's been my only source of VR practice! I don't think I should be too worried, though, given that I've been doing all right with AAMC's...
Listen, it depends on your strengths and weaknesses. I took 3 paper AAMC. I got an 11 on each but always felt like I got owned. The best thing I did was to buy the AAMC official guide and go through the verbal passages. Order that and go through it. I did the day before the test. The resolution is different but the passages ARE longer. However, you just have to read more carefully and note stuff so when you're asked to make an inference it's not difficult to do.

The BS was similar to AAMC 7 and 8. If you did well on those you will be fine. You had to read carefully. I had a passage on a hereditary disease and how an insertion causes one gene to stop the transcription of another gene. If you understand basic stuff like promoters, enahancers, transcription factors or basic antibody control you'll be fine.

The PS was also easy. You had to have memorized very few formulas. I don't know if you're using EK or not, but if you go through their red formulas you should be fine.

In closing, it was a little harder than the AAMCs but certainly within in reason. If you are doing well on the AAMCs then you will be fine. Good luck. I took it on 3/27 so my 2 cents.

PhilIvey

Poker Aficionado
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2006
Status
I took it 3/27 and I'll say that it was a bit harder than the aamc tests but it wasn't whole levels harder. Pretty comparable really. Test day anxiety was certainly a factor for me. A couple of the more advanced calculations in the PS section I just blanked on and had to skip. Luckily I had sufficient time at the end to go back and tackle most of them after my mind had settled into the usual groove. Oh and expect anything for ochem. I think some of the tests before 3/27 were cutting down on the ochem passages but my bs section had significant ochem, which was quite unfortunate for me.
This is why I wasn't too mad about the 4 bio discretes. I'm so happy I emphasized O-chem. I used TBR O-chem and it saved my **s. It's already been a week since we took our test. The 4/27 can't come soon enough. However, last year 3/28, they had their scores released one day early on 4/27/09 so we might get it on 04/26 which would be sweet.

PhilIvey

Poker Aficionado
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2006
Status
That's what I think, although I seem to be in the minority opinion here. I took the 1/29 MCAT and I honestly felt all three sections were exactly the same level as the AAMC tests. I think the added stress of the test day will show itself the most during the VR, where your concentration is most critical, hence people saying it's longer/harder. I scored where I thought I would score based on the AAMC tests and when I walked out of the test I thought it seemed like just another AAMC test.
Yes, I felt PS was standard, verbal a little harder, and BS a little harder. It wasn't out of the ordinary.

PhilIvey

Poker Aficionado
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2006
Status
PhilIvey: Just a heads up, there's a multiquote feature. It's next to the quote button and looks like "+
Oh, thank you very much. That would have simplified it greatly. I appreciate the stuff you do. I used TBR O-chem and Gen chem books along with EK.

NYR56

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student
PhilIvey: Just a heads up, there's a multiquote feature. It's next to the quote button and looks like "+
Wow, I don't know why I never noticed that button.