Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

AAMC Organic Chem Mechanism Question?

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by stester77s, 05.19.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. stester77s

stester77s 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I attached an image of the mechaism in question. My question, is how does the middle oxygen get protonated while the other oxygen has a negative charge? Shouldn't the oxygen with the negative charge get protonated before the neutral oxygen?

What is the name of this synthesis (so I can look up alternative mechanisms)?

Attached Files:

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. tdod

tdod 2+ Year Member

my best answer is that the alkoxide oxygen probably does pick up a proton first. however, there is no way to break up the compound, so eventually that proton gets lost. in contrast, when the central oxygen picks up a proton, the compound can collapse and will not reform.

4. syoung

syoung MS-3 5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Actually that mechanism looks weird on a couple of levels. What's the solvent? That would determine how the mechanism proceeds.

5. SuperSneaky24

SuperSneaky24

Pre-Medical
    So my guess is that what you said also occurs (that the negative oxygen is protonated instead). What you'll get is both forms, kind of like a keto-enol tautomerization but not exactly the same. It is the form in the image that is reactive and will cause the forward reaction to occur.

http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Organic...d_Anhydrides_React_with_Amines_to_Form_Amides
    Found the reaction online, except that hydride shift never occurs, so it's probably not that critical of a step

syoung and DrknoSDN like this.
  6. DrknoSDN

DrknoSDN

Pre-Medical
    Nice, I was about to repost the same link as you. It does show a better mechanism.

To find lots of mechanism pictures just search google images and type all the functional groups... I.E. "Anhydride Amine Amide", pops right up.

About the ads