AAMC Organic Chem Mechanism Question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stester77s

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I attached an image of the mechaism in question. My question, is how does the middle oxygen get protonated while the other oxygen has a negative charge? Shouldn't the oxygen with the negative charge get protonated before the neutral oxygen?

What is the name of this synthesis (so I can look up alternative mechanisms)?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• aamcmechanism.png
    aamcmechanism.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 82
my best answer is that the alkoxide oxygen probably does pick up a proton first. however, there is no way to break up the compound, so eventually that proton gets lost. in contrast, when the central oxygen picks up a proton, the compound can collapse and will not reform.

Actually that mechanism looks weird on a couple of levels. What's the solvent? That would determine how the mechanism proceeds.

So my guess is that what you said also occurs (that the negative oxygen is protonated instead). What you'll get is both forms, kind of like a keto-enol tautomerization but not exactly the same. It is the form in the image that is reactive and will cause the forward reaction to occur.

http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Organic...d_Anhydrides_React_with_Amines_to_Form_Amides
Found the reaction online, except that hydride shift never occurs, so it's probably not that critical of a step

Reactions: 1 users
So my guess is that what you said also occurs (that the negative oxygen is protonated instead). What you'll get is both forms, kind of like a keto-enol tautomerization but not exactly the same. It is the form in the image that is reactive and will cause the forward reaction to occur.

http://chemwiki.ucdavis.edu/Organic...d_Anhydrides_React_with_Amines_to_Form_Amides
Found the reaction online, except that hydride shift never occurs, so it's probably not that critical of a step
Nice, I was about to repost the same link as you. It does show a better mechanism.

To find lots of mechanism pictures just search google images and type all the functional groups... I.E. "Anhydride Amine Amide", pops right up.