AAMC P/S SB help please #80

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MC789

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I saw other posts regarding this question on reddit but am still not convinced on why C can't be the better answer. or are there some questions on PS that reasoning simply won't work, you have to know what content knowledge its referring to?

my reasoning: C: to observe frequency of specific events, such as how many times a red car passes by, you need to pay conscious attention.

D: novel information: for example, looking at a brand new model of a Mercedes, doesn't really require as much conscious attention as C. you can automatically take in the color, the shape, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 12.01.38 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 12.01.38 PM.png
    157.5 KB · Views: 123
This is basically a straight content question that asks you how the visual system/parallel processing works. Novel information involves integrating multiple things in the visual processing system (i.e. from your Mercedes example, you need to combine color, shape, form, car's motion to understand it and that requires conscious effort). The frequency of specific events is more closely related to temporal information and the motion aspects of the object. So it's considered a component of parallel processing that doesn't require conscious effort.

Parallel processing (psychology) - Wikipedia

I could understand where you're getting at with your examples but it risks overthinking and you could potentially use your reason for C to deduce temporal information (B) also requires conscious effort.