AAMC Practice Items for MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Vasiley Zaitsev

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok..

so I'm working through all of the AAMC practice items...are these easy compared to the real thing? Science probably is...but what about the Verbal Reasoning Practice Items? Thanks =D

owcc16

Members don't see this ad.

What out for the biological sciences...they sometimes have this thing called "evolution" on there. And they don't take essay answers for why evolution doesn't exist. Just for your info and trying to save you some grief. Yours --Trek

I did the AAMC practice V and my score was 2 points away from what I got on the real MCAT in August. I felt like it was close to the MCAT I had. Remember those are actual past MCAT's. They are for real.

Members don't see this ad :)
ah ha trek =D

I was actually talking about the AAMC practice items as opposed to the actual MCAT exams they offer..

owcc16

Aren't the practice items older? The test has gotten progressively harder since 1996. If I remember correctly, a lot of the practice verbal items had questions on the topic of the passage, and they don't have many questions like that on the real test anymore. They decided that those questions were too easy, I guess.

I thought that AAMC practice test V was REALLY easy compared to the actual MCAT. But that might have had something to do with test day jitters. The AAMC tests are not actual tests but a compilation of questions that were used on actual tests (as far as I can understand). But it's pretty much the same thing.

Have you done non AAMC practice items? I found the Kaplan stuff more challenging and made me feel better prepared in the end. Good luck!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Wednesday:
•Aren't the practice items older? The test has gotten progressively harder since 1996. If I remember correctly, a lot of the practice verbal items had questions on the topic of the passage, and they don't have many questions like that on the real test anymore. They decided that those questions were too easy, I guess.

I thought that AAMC practice test V was REALLY easy compared to the actual MCAT. But that might have had something to do with test day jitters. The AAMC tests are not actual tests but a compilation of questions that were used on actual tests (as far as I can understand). But it's pretty much the same thing.

Have you done non AAMC practice items? I found the Kaplan stuff more challenging and made me feel better prepared in the end. Good luck!•••••As part of the kaplan course, I'm working my way through the AAMC practice items, and almost done with them..

I find the kaplan physics to be much harder...Although, I've done mostly AAMC physics, and had around 70-80% correct on the passages.

the biologicals give me the same scores..around 80-85% correct each time, or 11-13 score. Verbal on AAMC..I did 11 passages today, all in a row..91/98= 93% correct! On Kaplan Verbal Tests, the highest correct I have gotten is 91%, 59/65...So..kaplan probably is a bit harder...

owcc16

I personally thought the verbal passages were easier than the passages in the real thing. AS far as the sciences passages, I didn't do that many of them, so I can't comment,
DON

I also am doing aamc items and I took MCAT last august. I think verbal on real MCAT is just so much more difficult. Physics and biology are of comparable difficulty.
In comparison to kaplan, Verbal for me was more difficult than the most difficult kaplan verbal tests.physics on actual MCAT was easier than the kaplan physics and biology on kaplan and real test were of similar difficulty level.

Another vote for the verbal being way harder on the real test. I took the august mcat and the verbal was brutal. The verbal on the actual test was much harder than kaplan's stuff and the aamc practice tests. I think the p.s. section has become a bit easier and the b.s. has gotten harder.

\ i was wondering if anyone still had anyone of the old AAMC practice items