AAMC Practice Items

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mistress S

Don't mess with the S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 2 questions about these for people who have used them:

1.) I have 2 books that a friend gave me a long time ago of AAMC MCAT Practice Items (there's one for PS and BS and one for VR and the writing sample). They're pretty old, from 1991. Are these the same practice items Kaplan has from the AAMC, or are there more recent ones that have been published?

2.) When I do the AAMC practice items for PS (my weak area), I do pretty well: 65-70% right, while on Kaplan practice tests/materials and those from other companies I tend to get more like 45-55% correct. I feel like the AAMC passages and questions are much more straightforward. Which is more representative? Are the AAMC practice items easier because they're so old?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow mistress thats pretty awesome ...65-70!
i am having bio problems i just began the kaplan bs aamc items...i dont know if they are the same as teh ones you have but i find them pretty challenging..i am also having problems with kaplan aamc gchem as it doesnt seem at all like the ones on our FL
i just started it today and haveto leave for work so only did about n=9
Do you feel they are more like the 5r/6r?
I agree with them def being different from kaplan's full lengths :( harder in some cases and easier in others

the practice items are much easier than the real thing, i thought those practice items were very straight forward. just dont count on them, its only good for practice and building up your reading speed

Mistress S said:
I have 2 questions about these for people who have used them:

1.) I have 2 books that a friend gave me a long time ago of AAMC MCAT Practice Items (there's one for PS and BS and one for VR and the writing sample). They're pretty old, from 1991. Are these the same practice items Kaplan has from the AAMC, or are there more recent ones that have been published?

2.) When I do the AAMC practice items for PS (my weak area), I do pretty well: 65-70% right, while on Kaplan practice tests/materials and those from other companies I tend to get more like 45-55% correct. I feel like the AAMC passages and questions are much more straightforward. Which is more representative? Are the AAMC practice items easier because they're so old?