AAMC practice MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DiverDoc

KCUMB 2012
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, over the duration of christmas break i took the AAMC exams. Zero study time havent taken Org II or Physics II (thats this springs semester). But overall i scored from a 22 to a 27 for my highest score. With zero prep. I will take the real thing next april. But is this acceptable for the situation I am in. I want to go to DO school. So im a little encouraged by my score(s) ????

Members don't see this ad.

BrettBatchelor said:
It is good, but those AAMC tests are like GOLD. You shouldn't take them until the end since they are limited and would best serve as a score predictor then.

the "end" of what? My studying prior to MCAT? Whats wrong with preparing now.. EK has practice exams, plus AAMC comes out with new ones

BrettBatchelor said:
shouldn't take them until the end

I disagree. People overestimate their sense of "I've taken this test before"-ness. If you take a practice test and then take it again 4+ weeks later, you're really not going to remember too much about it, other than that the questions seemed familar. Well, if you do remember more, more power to you :) but anecdotally, what I found is true for many people.

Members don't see this ad :)
dIvErDoC said:
Well, over the duration of christmas break i took the AAMC exams. Zero study time havent taken Org II or Physics II (thats this springs semester). But overall i scored from a 22 to a 27 for my highest score. With zero prep. I will take the real thing next april. But is this acceptable for the situation I am in. I want to go to DO school. So im a little encouraged by my score(s) ????

I have seen many people on md applicants accepted to DO schools wiht MCATs in the mid to high 20s. These people had around 3.3-3.5 gpas. I really don't understand too much about DO schools, I didn't even know what DO was until about 6 months ago.

dIvErDoC said:
the "end" of what? My studying prior to MCAT? Whats wrong with preparing now.. EK has practice exams, plus AAMC comes out with new ones
EK does have practice tests but the AAMC ones are taken from ACTUAL questions. There isn't anything with preparing now. IMO, one of the most useful aspects of taking practice tests near the actual date is to give you a range of where you will score on the real deal. Taking one or two is beneficial to give you a baseline score and to help locate weaknesses.

I also be surprised if the AAMC released more than one new exam as I'm sure their focus is on the CBT switch.

BrettBatchelor said:
EK does have practice tests but the AAMC ones are taken from ACTUAL questions. There isn't anything with preparing now. IMO, one of the most useful aspects of taking practice tests near the actual date is to give you a range of where you will score on the real deal. Taking one or two is beneficial to give you a baseline score and to help locate weaknesses.

I also be surprised if the AAMC released more than one new exam as I'm sure their focus is on the CBT switch.

Actually, I think studying from old tests was one of the most helpful forms of studying for me. It allows you to put what you are learning into context and really see how your knowledge will be tested and just how deep you have to look into a situation in order to answer a question. If you have tests and the solutions, I would say use it a lot with your studying. That being said, save 2 for the very end of your studying like Brett mentioned.

MarzH05 said:
Actually, I think studying from old tests was one of the most helpful forms of studying for me. It allows you to put what you are learning into context and really see how your knowledge will be tested and just how deep you have to look into a situation in order to answer a question. If you have tests and the solutions, I would say use it a lot with your studying. That being said, save 2 for the very end of your studying like Brett mentioned.
Yes, the answer keys are just about the most important thing. Remember to look at those extensively. Read them, understand them, sleep with them; love them. LOVE THEM!

Totally agree. I retook 3R and 5R and did not remember much from them. Also retook EK verbal 101 exam 1-7. reason was I planned on taking the April MCAT but decided to switch to the August MCAT.

But it's best to take those exams fresh so you have full confidence in the score you earn.

anon-y-mouse said:
I disagree. People overestimate their sense of "I've taken this test before"-ness. If you take a practice test and then take it again 4+ weeks later, you're really not going to remember too much about it, other than that the questions seemed familar. Well, if you do remember more, more power to you :) but anecdotally, what I found is true for many people.

Yeah, I didn't really remember too many of the old AAMC exam questions the second time around. Usually, what would happen is I would cap each week with an AAMC exam (starting from the oldest). Midweek after that, I would review the previous exam's questions. After PT6, I reviewed all of my missed questions, and I always had to reread the passage to understand the context. Especially verbal (goes without saying, I suppose).

But, as one poster stated, save the best for last. I did PT7 and 8 in the last week.

As a self-studier, I did not find TPR or Kaplan materials even half as helpful as the AAMC exams.

Which AAMC practice exams did you guys buy? I know they sell access to like 4 exams online but if I buy that can I request a paper copy or should I just pay for that then print them out?

Hausdaddy24 said:
Which AAMC practice exams did you guys buy? I know they sell access to like 4 exams online but if I buy that can I request a paper copy or should I just pay for that then print them out?
When you buy the online versions you also get a PDF of the test that you can print to your heart's desire. You can only check the answers and the answer keys online though.
Allegedly these PDFs have some kind of tag that the AAMC says they can use to trace them back to you - this is to discourage trading of these files. Oh, AAMC, you're so naive....
I paid for online access for tests 3-8. It was well worth the cost.

desiredusername said:
When you buy the online versions you also get a PDF of the test that you can print to your heart's desire. You can only check the answers and the answer keys online though.
Allegedly these PDFs have some kind of tag that the AAMC says they can use to trace them back to you - this is to discourage trading of these files. Oh, AAMC, you're so naive....
I paid for online access for tests 3-8. It was well worth the cost.

Exactly how many AAMC practice tests are there? Just 3-8R? Do they all end in R? I currently have those ones, but was wondering if AAMC has any more? I thought I read somewhere of something like 1-5F? Is there a difference?

Rocket3004 said:
Exactly how many AAMC practice tests are there? Just 3-8R? Do they all end in R? I currently have those ones, but was wondering if AAMC has any more? I thought I read somewhere of something like 1-5F? Is there a difference?
R stands for revised when in 200X (I dunno the year) they changed the order and added more genetics/molecular bio and altered the # of questions and timing.

Thus they had to make changes to the practice tests to make them fit the new procedure. AAMC 9 is supposed to be coming out soon too.

BrettBatchelor said:
R stands for revised when in 200X (I dunno the year) they changed the order and added more genetics/molecular bio and altered the # of questions and timing.

Thus they had to make changes to the practice tests to make them fit the new procedure. AAMC 9 is supposed to be coming out soon too.

So then there are only 5 (3-8) total AAMC MCAT Practice tests, correct?

There is also AAMC 0 - 5. Some of these are the unrevised version of the R exams. But others were never revised and are good extra practice. These are hard to find, not many people sell them. Saw them once at ebay.