AAMC Practice Test 10, WTF? Is this for real?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xmsr3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last week I took AAMC practice test 9, got 19 wrong for a total of 125, or 87% correct.

My Score was: PS: 12 VR: 13 BS: 11, Total 36

Up to that point I had gotten, 33, 34, 34, 34, 34, 37 so I was stoked at 36.

Today I took Test 10, the final one, I felt great taking it, then I scored it.

19 wrong, 125 correct, 87% correct, SAME AS LAST WEEK!

My scores: PS 12 VR 10 BS 11 Total 33

WTF? When I got a 33 last time it was because I only got 81% correct!

This means that, compared to my other 33, I got 8 more right and it didn't make a damn bit of difference!

How can the same exact score have such a large spread?

I understand that some versions of the test might be slightly easier than others, but I assumed they balanced hard and easy questions so that each MCAT was essentially the same difficulty.

Now I am freaking the hell out because I have my MCAT on April 18th and I have another thing to worry over.

If I rock the test, walk out feeling like I destroyed every section, I may still get a crappy score!

Thank god that my 3.97 GPA will almost gurantee that I get in somewhere, even if its in Podonk Alabama State.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't freak. I got the same exact score on 10 and very similar scores on the rest of them. Ended up with a 40. Don't let it get to you. You'll do awesome if you've been doing that well on the practice tests, but freaking yourself out isn't going to help anything.

Maybe you need a break, OP. You might be burned out. But your scores look good, so don't stress too much over it.

EXACT same thing happened to me, and with very similar scores. It makes me feel a little better to know we're in the same boat. I'm also taking it this Saturday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank god that my 3.97 GPA will almost gurantee that I get in somewhere, even if its in Podonk Alabama State.

Thoughts?

Nothing in life is a guarantee, having a sense of entiltement will get you nowhere.

With that said, don't worry about your FL10 score being lower, it happens to a lot of people on SDN. Its based on the scale they set up for that test, which means the AAMC thought it was an easier test than the others. I did the same thing, I went from a 36 on FL9 to a 33 on FL10; hopefully on 4/4/09 I got somewhere in between but I'm doubtful lol.

Just take a breather, feel confident and don't burn yourself out. You put the time and effort in, it should pay off.

First, a 33 isn't a crappy score, it's actually above average. I can see why you'd be disappointed with it (I think I would too, actually), but you'd still be above average.

Second, this:
Don't freak. I got the same exact score on 10 and very similar scores on the rest of them. Ended up with a 40. Don't let it get to you. You'll do awesome if you've been doing that well on the practice tests, but freaking yourself out isn't going to help anything.
This is exactly the SDNer I thought of when I read your post, OP. You'll be fine.

Third, as toolish as this makes you sound, it's probably partially true. Your GPA and a 33 would get you in somewhere.

3.97 and a 33 will get you consideration in top schools, provided other aspects of your application are good as well.

Nothing in life is a guarantee, having a sense of entiltement will get you nowhere.

Absolutely, positively the perfect response to a comment like that. I'm so utterly impressed by your poignant, tactful, and candid reply. Cudos and props to you Longshanks!

To the OP, every year there are some people with amazing numbers who don't get accepted to medical school because they don't show the admissions folks their humility. If you have a 3.97 and a 33, then you have solid numbers and need to start working on you essay and interview skills. Good luck Saturday!

You never know what you're gonna get. I got a 36 on AAMC 10 (13PS/10VR/13BS, about my average for the AAMC's once I had finished my review) and I scored 3 pts lower on test day! :eek:

Point: accept the fact that your score can fluctuate. As long as you keep your cool, it won't fluctuate too much (e.g. 3 pts is a large-normal fluctionation IMHO), but it's very likely your score will be a couple points off your average/expected score.

WTF!!! I got an 8 on verbal for AAMC 10....:scared:

i consistently get 10's and the last two tests i took i got 13's??? verbal is so irritating...

I think they compare your scores on the practice tests against the actual scores of people who took that one when it was given for real. So if everyone who took #10 for real was totally brilliant, then you're going to score lower on #10.

I think they compare your scores on the practice tests against the actual scores of people who took that one when it was given for real. So if everyone who took #10 for real was totally brilliant, then you're going to score lower on #10.

I don't think so. Pretty sure the curve is set beforehand. If your overall score is the same but your scaled score is lower, it means the AAMC thought that AAMC 10 is on the easy side.

yea. it seems aamc 10 is a downer for a lot of people

i'd suggest future mcaters to take aamc 10 in the middle of your practice test sequence.

3.97 and a 33 will get you consideration in top schools, provided other aspects of your application are good as well.

Not to spread panic, but there are a couple of SDNs students with 4.0 (from ivies) and 33 and 35 MCATS respectively who only got a couple of interviews and NOT at top schools. You need excellent ECs for those.