AAMC Practice Tests: How to Get Your Essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

music2doc

Student of Mad Doctoring
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how to get your essay response on the AAMC practice tests? I am logged in but cannot seem to find a link to get my essay responses. (There are links to review the rest of each exam but none for the writing section.) I want to send them to my Kaplan instructors for feedback before my MCAT Thurs.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

From the e-MCAT FAQ:

Are the writing samples scored?

No. Only the multiple choices questions are scored on the test. MCAT Practice Online does provide sample reading passages, complete with scores and comments. A guideline to scoring the writing sample is also provided.

From the e-MCAT FAQ:

Are the writing samples scored?

No. Only the multiple choices questions are scored on the test. MCAT Practice Online does provide sample reading passages, complete with scores and comments. A guideline to scoring the writing sample is also provided.

Right, I saw that, but doesn't the whole "a guidelines to scoring is provided" part imply that you can get to the essay you typed up during the exam? I can't find a way of viewing my practice test essays. If they're going to provide a rubric to grade your essay by (should you choose to do so), it only makes sense that they save your essays and provide a way for you to access them. I do not, however, see any way of doing that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Right, I saw that, but doesn't the whole "a guidelines to scoring is provided" part imply that you can get to the essay you typed up during the exam? I can't find a way of viewing my practice test essays. If they're going to provide a rubric to grade your essay by (should you choose to do so), it only makes sense that they save your essays and provide a way for you to access them. I do not, however, see any way of doing that.

The only way that I was able to save my practice essay was to highlight it, then copy and paste it into word when I was finished writing it.

If you want to send one to Kaplan, then pick a prompt at random (from the many that AAMC has somewhere on their website) and practice writing a response to it in a basic word processing program (wordpad or the like). Don't turn on spell checker...

Good luck. I found that the most important part of the essay is meeting the three goals. Thesis, anti-thesis, and synthesis. Use several examples for each goal. Then make sure to develop each example to a logical conclusion (in the synthesis).

I thought I bombed the real WS on the March MCAT, but ended up with an R?!?!?! It must have been because of all the examples that I was able to merge into a coherent ending. Or maybe it is because they assign those letters, at random, to people (just kidding). :laugh:

dsoz

Click the blue "Review All" button. Keep clicking "Next" until you get to the writing section. A screen will appear that shows the prompt and the solution (aka their sample essay). If you scroll all the way to the bottom, you will see your essay.

click the blue "review all" button. Keep clicking "next" until you get to the writing section. A screen will appear that shows the prompt and the solution (aka their sample essay). If you scroll all the way to the bottom, you will see your essay.

+1.