Dec 25, 2009
Status
Optometry Student
AAMC provides a list for the Physical Sciences section. Is that list sufficient in terms of what we should know for the MCAT? Or is it just there to provide some guidance as to what we should be studying?...I'm really tempted to just tackle that list and leave it at that because the Princeton physical sciences book is HUGE!! Would it be foolish not to read the whole book?

dohlo

7+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2010
SoCal
Status
Medical Student
If no one else wants to respond, I'm going to go ahead and give my 2 cents. Its foolish not to read the whole book. I'm guessing that the material in the princeton book has shown up on some mcat in one form or another, and has a possibility to show up again. My theory is that the AAMC list is probably a good skeleton to help guide your studying, but given the choice of studying a concept or not studying a concept, if you want to ensure you get a good score, you should probably study it.

This is also coming from someone who hasn't taken a real mcat yet as well, so you can ignore me if you want, but i feel bad that no one has responded...

just study EVERYTHING, and you will get a 45t :)

Dec 25, 2009
Status
Optometry Student
If no one else wants to respond, I'm going to go ahead and give my 2 cents. Its foolish not to read the whole book. I'm guessing that the material in the princeton book has shown up on some mcat in one form or another, and has a possibility to show up again. My theory is that the AAMC list is probably a good skeleton to help guide your studying, but given the choice of studying a concept or not studying a concept, if you want to ensure you get a good score, you should probably study it.

This is also coming from someone who hasn't taken a real mcat yet as well, so you can ignore me if you want, but i feel bad that no one has responded...

just study EVERYTHING, and you will get a 45t :)
I appreciate your response...and I'm sorry you felt bad. You got some good ideas :thumbup:

PhilIvey

Poker Aficionado
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2006
Status
I appreciate your response...and I'm sorry you felt bad. You got some good ideas :thumbup:
Since you posted on the day I took my test, I feel obligated to respond. You must read TPR Chapters 5-10. They are awesome. Go through the AAMC list by going through those chapters. Chapters 1-4 are solid but most kids who took a physics class should be good with that info.

azrk

10+ Year Member
Oct 17, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
You can try but you will realize that it is actually quite difficult to differentiate between what is important and what is not.

Dec 25, 2009
Status
Optometry Student
Since you posted on the day I took my test, I feel obligated to respond. You must read TPR Chapters 5-10. They are awesome. Go through the AAMC list by going through those chapters. Chapters 1-4 are solid but most kids who took a physics class should be good with that info.
Thanks, that's exactly what I've been doing. You're right about chapters 1-4, I feel like the time I spent on them was a waste. I hope your exam went well.

You can try but you will realize that it is actually quite difficult to differentiate between what is important and what is not.
I get the feeling that you're right, but it's just hard to remember so much stuff from reading...I wish I had worked harder to learn it the first time around.