AAMC SB P/S #15

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

minho

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Having a bit of trouble understanding why A and C aren't also things that should be avoided.

My understanding is that

A. operant extinction = when a behavior is no longer reinforced or punished so there is no longer a response to it (I'm actually not 100% sure about this definition, I've really only heard about extinction in terms of classical conditioning).

This would want to be avoided by the trainer for obvious reasons - you don't want the rabbit to forget what it learned.

C. Stimulus generalization = when the rabbit interprets other stimuli similar to the original one as within the same category and will respond accordingly.

This would be bad too because that means the rabbit has a less specific response.

Members don't see this ad.

Having a bit of trouble understanding why A and C aren't also things that should be avoided.

My understanding is that

A. operant extinction = when a behavior is no longer reinforced or punished so there is no longer a response to it (I'm actually not 100% sure about this definition, I've really only heard about extinction in terms of classical conditioning).

This would want to be avoided by the trainer for obvious reasons - you don't want the rabbit to forget what it learned.

C. Stimulus generalization = when the rabbit interprets other stimuli similar to the original one as within the same category and will respond accordingly.

This would be bad too because that means the rabbit has a less specific response.

Yes, your definitions are spot on, and those are the correct reasons to reject A & C.

Yes, your definitions are spot on, and those are the correct reasons to reject A & C.

Wait why are my definitions being correct reasons to reject A and C? (If these are things to be avoided, wouldn't they also be candidate answer choices?)

Wait why are my definitions being correct reasons to reject A and C? (If these are things to be avoided, wouldn't they also be candidate answer choices?)

oops my fault, I read the question with a double negative. I think these are the type of questions you would have to choose the best answer vs. the right answer.

A: operant extinction can refer to the disappearance of a response or a weakening of the response. (If there is an extinction, you can let the rabbit relearn it)
B: this is when you are introducing something in the rabbit's life that interferes with the instincts of the animal. (like teaching a cat how to swim, when it hates water) This would cause the rabbit to go back to baseline, in a way, and the trainer would have to reteach everything.
C: this is not as bad compared A and B, because it still knows the trick, but it needs to be trained more as to when to respond.

Any other thoughts by anyone else are welcomed!

Members don't see this ad :)
oops my fault, I read the question with a double negative. I think these are the type of questions you would have to choose the best answer vs. the right answer.

A: operant extinction can refer to the disappearance of a response or a weakening of the response. (If there is an extinction, you can let the rabbit relearn it)
B: this is when you are introducing something in the rabbit's life that interferes with the instincts of the animal. (like teaching a cat how to swim, when it hates water) This would cause the rabbit to go back to baseline, in a way, and the trainer would have to reteach everything.
C: this is not as bad compared A and B, because it still knows the trick, but it needs to be trained more as to when to respond.

Any other thoughts by anyone else are welcomed!

Ah I see, that does make sense I suppose, thanks!