AAMC score vs. actual score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Uafl112

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it safe to say that you will score a couple of points lower on the real MCAT as opposed to what you get on your practice exams?

Members don't see this ad.

Not necessarily. I scored 2 points higher than my highest practice AAMC.

I think it really depends on how the pressure affects you. I personally found it helped me focus, think faster, and just generally brought out my best. How do you normally do under pressure--better or worse?

Last edited:
I also don't believe that it is necessarily true. Usually people say that you will be +/-2 pts from your AAMC average, but for me my actual score was 4 pts higher. The test usually just feels harder because of the situation, but that feeling isn't necessarily the right one; for example I almost voided because I thought I did so poor-the only reason I didnt was that I had driven 500 miles to take my test and didnt want it to be a waste.

My actual MCAT was 5 points lower, be prepared for anything. I took on 3/23 though and many other people had similar issues, so it might have been a fluke.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have thoroughly covered the content and you don't let nerves get the best of you there is no reason why you should expect to do worse than your average. If you walk in their hoping that something doesn't show up because you left a weak spot uncovered than your score will be in the hands of chance. Put in 100 % expect 100%.

Is it safe to say that you will score a couple of points lower on the real MCAT as opposed to what you get on your practice exams?

No. In all likelihood, you will score plus or minus up to two points of your most recent AAMC CBT score, especially if it's one of AAMC's more recent CBT's.

This assumes that you are taking that specific AAMC CBT for the first time. If you are retaking a practice test you've already done, that practice test score will be inflated.