AAMC Scored B/B #54

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theonlytycrane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Screen Shot 2016-08-17 at 6.13.09 PM.png

Isn't "Endomembrane system" kind of a lame answer for a location? Would cleavage likely happen in the ER after translation or at the golgi with glycosylation? I guess it could happen at any of these places.

Members don't see this ad.

I just did this question yesterday and thought the same thing. It's like a question I saw earlier where someone posted a practice problem with an answer of "electrically gated channels" when virtually every scientist says "voltage-gated." The endoplasmic reticulum folds and cleaves proteins, in this case insulin, and ensures proper stereoconfiguration (is that the right word?) aka quaternary structure (C-C disulfide bonds). If I should've said tertiary structure, let me know. The golgi packages the protein, with a few more modifications like you've mentioned. But cleavage primarily takes place in the ER.

Or if you're the AAMC, the majestic "endomembrane system"....

Reactions: 1 user
Glad to know someone else feels the same way! It's questions like this that even if I get right I can't be sure I'd pick the "correct" answer in another instance because the question and choices are just so unclear.