AAMC Self-Assessment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amonty144

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Sorry if this question has been asked before, I search it on the forum and found conflicting answers.

Is it a good idea to break the AAMC self-assessments (SA) and treat them like a full length. Like PS section has around 100 questions, why not break it into two sections 50qs each and practice like that?

Also is the self-assessment package a collection of old exams put together? Because I don't want to take them if they are old AAMC 4 or 5 or 6? I haven't taken those AAMCs yet?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Take them before you do any AAMC FLs.
It's stupid to time them. Use them to get used to their passages + the way they ask questions.
BUT FOR VERBAL, make sure you time them.
Doesnt matter how you finish them.

I personally didn't time myself while I did them. I was somewhat aware of how long it took me to finish all the passages though so I didn't spend more than 10 mins per passage. I did an entire science section per day to kind of build some endurance before taking practice tests. Ultimately, the self-assessments are meant to identify your weaknesses and get used to AAMC's style. Make sure you really review the self-assessments after you're done.

Like brood910 said, time yourself while doing verbal though. I spent 7-8 mins per verbal passage and did 2-3 passages per day on days when I was reviewing AAMC practice tests.

I've read elsewhere that the AAMC self-assessment passages and questions come from AAMC 1, 2, and 6, which you can't purchase anymore through AAMC.

Take them before you do any AAMC FLs.
It's stupid to time them. Use them to get used to their passages + the way they ask questions.
BUT FOR VERBAL, make sure you time them.
Doesnt matter how you finish them.

Thanks. Did you take a lot of practice tests/FLs (from other prep companies) before starting with AAMC self-assessments and AAMC FLs? I have only taken two Kaplan FLs and I don't know if I should do more practice with those to sharpen my content before going AAMC? I have a month and half left till deadline.