AAMC TEST 5 Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Unis

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am still feeling shaky in the verbal section. I have 5 TBR CBT's and have done the first three exams with scores 11, 8, 9, on the verbal sections. I am not sure if this is just my imagination but I find that some of the verbal questions on the TBR CBT require outside knowledge. Like there was one passage that dealt with the Romans and 2 of the answers seemed to require knowledge of when the Middle Ages took place. I found something similar in a passage about social security and understanding the idea of treasury debt. I don't know if I'm just missing something but some of the questions seem to require outside knowledge or deep inferences I'm just missing.

I have done all EK 101 and AAMC exams except number 5. I was wondering if I should purchase this exam for the verbal section. Is the verbal on this exam difficult and/or representative of the current MCAT. Appreciate any opinions on this.

Members don't see this ad.

keep in mind TBR 1 is the easiest verbal. Also, yeah, some (very few) of TBR questions tow the line between passage information and things you need to know from outside common knowledge. Outside knowledge is something you DO NOT need to know for the actual mcat. As to whether you need AAMC 5, it is as good practice as the others, and more practice can never hurt. Looks like you've done a lot of verbal though...are you comfortable with your scores and where you are at? Are they consistent?

edit: If you are shaky, I would recommend getting it as more practice the better. Also you buy it alongside the "official mcat guide" for $45, and this guide has past mcat questions...

I feel like I'm all over the place sometimes with my scores. I find that I make a ton of really silly and stupid mistakes that seriously devastate me. I think what happens is that I get nervous about the time and I either don't read questions properly, rush through questions without really thinking about them, or change my answers. So, I am trying to overcome this but I keep doing it even though I keep telling myself I won't the next time.

On TBR 1 I really messed up the PS section. I don't even know what happened to me but I made so many stupid mistakes. Right now my range for the first 3 exams has been 26-31.

I am registered for April 10. Do you think I should still get the Official Guide and AAMC 5? How many passages for each section are in the guide?

I am registered for April 10. Do you think I should still get the Official Guide and AAMC 5? How many passages for each section are in the guide?

the entire guide is about the length of a FL exam. I think it's worth to buy it with aamc 5 for a discounted 45