1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

aamc test ranking difficulty

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by adit15, Aug 11, 2006.

1. adit15

adit15 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

anybody have any input on how they would rank the difficulty of the aamc tests? i hear aamc 3 and 5 are the easiest, and 8 is supposed to be the hardest.... people also tell me 4 and 6 are little tough, and also any thoughts on 9?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Xswim57

Xswim57 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I found 3R to be the easiest, but my score has gone up the more exams I take. 4R was the most difficult of exams 3-6, and I will be taking 8 and 9 over the next few days.

4. UofT_475

UofT_475 Member
    2+ Year Member

3 was jokes.

4-6 are about the same, maybe 4 PS was a little harder

7 and 8...8 had messed up verbal and bio.

I just did 6, highest score so far...the curve was more lenient for PS and VR.

5. docolive

docolive DOColive
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I just took test 7. I thought it was harder than test 8 or 9. Too much gchem that I need to refresh on.

6. akinf

akinf Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've only taken 4R to 6R, but so far, I've found 6R to be the toughest, even though I did the worst on 4R. The PS was annoying on 6R (there was 1 passage i got murdered on) and the BS on 6R was tricky at times. I am doing 7, 8, and 9 next week, starting with 7 tomorrow.

7. go lakers

go lakers Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    between 7, 8, 9... i felt that 8 was the hardest, then 9, then 7.

8. supafield

supafield Dream Big
    7+ Year Member

Agreed....

althought I found 9's VR to be be bad and 8's not so much...

9. jpostbac

jpostbac Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

i've taken 4, 5, 7, & 8 so far (6 and 9 this week)

4 had, by far, the toughest scale. got my lowest score there. also, remember that 4 was administered "back in the day," under the old format, so it's probably (hopefully) less of a reliable indicator of what you might score on the real deal.

i took 5 early on, and thought it was manageable.

i thought 8 was good - VR on 8 a bit tougher than on 5 and 4, but no different than the EK passages.

7 messed with me a little bit. i scored 2 pts lower on 7 than on 8 and actually found PS and VR on 7 to be a little bit more challenging than on 8 (anyone else feel this way too?) - more random, stupid calculations and 'percent by weight' crap on PS that i never really studied and weird questions in VR (the passage with the 'high road/low road' corporation stuff had some question stems and answer choices that i thought were out of left field).

i also took the test straight from the AAMC booklet, where the VR passages and questions were front/back, rather than on facing pages, which i found annoying. i didn't want to keep flipping back and forth when referring back to the passage and so i was relying more on memory to answer the questions. lame excuse, i know - but did anyone else feel that way about the VR on the printed AAMC 7?

anyway, if i had to rank the tests i've taken so far, in order of difficulty:

5 < 8 < 4 (because of the scale) < 7

10. Sol Rosenberg

Sol Rosenberg Long Live the New Flesh!
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    8 and 9 were VERY heavy on the Gchem, but make sure you study your Physics well. My form of the April MCAT had very little Gchem, and was very heavy on the Physics.