1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

AAMC tests 3-11 content covered

Discussion in 'MCAT: Medical College Admissions Test' started by Dr Dazzle, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Dr Dazzle

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hi Guys,

For those who have taken all or most of the AAMC tests so far, how did you feel was the content covered in them? Specifically, how was all the content review you did represented in them?

I ask, because, I am wondering if doing all the AAMC exams and then reviewing them will be sufficient in terms of being tested on and then having a chance to review all the content that could be covered by the actual MCAT.

OR, are some subjects way overly represented? I want to start, finish and review all the AAMC exams, and then be comfortable with what I have covered in these few weeks before the actual MCAT.

Thanks for the help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. kehlsh

kehlsh Medic Commando
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    first, content
    then, AAMCs not the other way around?

4. coyotelime

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just study everything. "Overly represented" topics on AAMC FLs may be nonexistent on the real test. You may place an emphasis on high-yield topics, but the idea of only studying topics that are covered on the practice tests could be extremely detrimental to your actual test score.

This is the most important thing in your life at this point; why risk missing simple discretes/passage questions because you failed to review each topic?

5. notbobtrustme

notbobtrustme Crux Terminatus
    Removed Account on Hold 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I noticed there were very few optics-based passages, which is a godsend to me.

6. Melomare17

5+ Year Member

yes this.

definitely know content and use aamcs as practice/other smaller information u still need to learn/need to know. u save more time doing it this way than the other way around. if you do AAMC first, ur wasting a great practice test.

7. salim271

salim271 Patience is tough. :/
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hear hear.

8. muhali3

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There is always some solution chemistry (solubility) and thermodynamics.

9. MD2BeWpg

Pre-Medical
    just had a test heavy in optics and no acid/base chem which i was really pooped about since i spent so much time on it!

10. vin5cent0

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    +1 for the solubility / thermo problems. Seems like every test I've taken so far has had them. Anxious for the next one tomorrow since I've been working on mastering that stuff for two weeks, hopefully it doesn't just disappear now :laugh:

11. kexy

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I felt that a lot of the things most heavily covered in AAMC 3-11 were NOT on my real MCAT at all, or were much less prevalent than they were on the practice exams. I wouldn't use the AAMC's to gauge content that might show up on the real thing.

IMO using the AAMC's will NOT be sufficient content review. If I had done this, I would have been completely screwed. Even more so than I was, lol. :rolleyes:

12. paul411

paul411 ANES
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I don't recommend this approach because any topics not covered in the AAMCs will likely become "weak areas" which might show up on the real thing. Don't take the risk. Like someone else noted, content review first and then FLs.