AAMC tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrGoMan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was wondering how the AAMC tests stack up to the real thing. I took the PS portion of 3R about 1.5 months ago and got a 6. Now i took 4r, and I got an 8 on PS, whereby I made 4 really stupid mistakes, and out I got 7 discretes wrong!! So, I'm thinkin I'm capable of a better score what do you guys think?

I was also wondering how you guys did on 4r and whether it corrleated to the real thing, score-wise.

Members don't see this ad.

OrGoMan said:
Hey, I was wondering how the AAMC tests stack up to the real thing. I took the PS portion of 3R about 1.5 months ago and got a 6. Now i took 4r, and I got an 8 on PS, whereby I made 4 really stupid mistakes, and out I got 7 discretes wrong!! So, I'm thinkin I'm capable of a better score what do you guys think?

I was also wondering how you guys did on 4r and whether it corrleated to the real thing, score-wise.

AAMC 3R is the easiest one. I think aamc 8 represents the real thing the best. I thought aamc 8 was hard, but not as hard as the real thing.

Not much help, but there it is.

I took AAMC 7 & 8. My score on 8 was much lower than my actual score while my score on 7 was very close: verbal was spot on and my PS and BS scores were one point lower each than I did on the real thing.

Good luck! :luck:

i thought kaplan's were more reflective of the real thing. my kaplan avg: 32.5, my aamc scores (7&8): 37 & 36, my actual mcat: 33

so you can see...but i've heard different things from different test-takers

Members don't see this ad :)
I took all Kaplan Full Lenth Exams and all of the AAMC exams and I pretty much scored within 1 or 2 points on my real MCAT that I took in April 2005. In fact, the highest I got on a Kaplan Full -Lenghth or AAMC PS was a 11 and I ended up actually getting a 12 in that section (even though I thought the AAMC practice exams had much easier PS sections that what I actually took in April). Definitely take as many practice as you can without driving ur self crazy. Your probably going to score within +/- 1 or 2 points on the real thing.

OrGoMan said:

Take all of them. Dont let anyone tell you differently. The test predicted my final score to the letter. They are an extremely accurate indicator of where you stand. Take them under realistic conditions. Good luck.

I agree with Gujudoc, that AAMC tests are good but I would say they were reflective for me in VR and BS to some extent. PS in AAMC was much easier and Kaplan's was probably more reflective. Don't bank on AAMC exams itself take some others too.

The AAMC tests are far cries in terms of content to the actual MCAT. The PS for a majority of people in April was really difficult. But that said, the AAMC 8 predicted by score very accurately. It was the same score in terms of total and composite.

I thought there whole purpose was to accurately reflect the level of understanding needed on any real MCAT. Aren't they afterall previously administered tests? And why would they offer review material that does not reflect what is needed?

My scores from the AAMC tests were very accurate. I took tests 3-7 and had a range of 28-32 with a frequent score of 30. On the April MCAT, I ended up with a 30. I just used the Examkrackers books and took these tests. That's all you need.

I was within +/- 2 of my AAMC 7R practice test. That said, I took that test after taking 3 Kaplan tests and AAMC 3R, so I knew exactly how the test worked by that point (thus making 7R a good approximation of my final score).

gujuDoc said:
This basically sums up me as well. The only difference is that I took TPR tests instead of kaplan tests.

Basically my physical science was the same as all my AAMC tests, my verbal was low (2 points lower then AAMC ), and my bio was 1 point higher then AAMC tests

Oh and I never really practiced writing.

I took AAMC 6R and 7 at the end of the PR course I took this past spring semester. Although they are not at all reflective of the difficulty of the real MCAT, they ARE good predictors of your score. (How that works, I have no idea, but that's what I and many of my fellow test-takers felt). AAMC 7, which I took a week before the actual MCAT, predicted my overall score exactly (38).

WayChanger said:
Although they are not at all reflective of the difficulty of the real MCAT, they ARE good predictors of your score. (How that works, I have no idea, but that's what I and many of my fellow test-takers felt). .

I felt the same way, and I believe that's where the curve comes in. Say you get a certain score on the AAMC 8R, if you felt that the actual test was harder, then most likely others felt it was proportionally harder as well, and missed proportionally more questions...so your score remains constant despite the varying difficulty of the tests.

Basically, yes the AAMC tests are an accurate score predictor +/- 1 to 2 points because of this curve.

On an unrelated note, I heard that these AAMC FLs aren't complete old MCATs per se, but tests pasted together from bits and pieces of previous exams...is this true?

REAL THING:

Verbal about the same as practice
PS harder than practice
BS more logically based than practice

I just took AAMC 3R today and am somewhat disappointed with my score.

(WARNING: I am not trying to be a troll or anything. I've been studying like crazy for the past month and had heard 3R was the easiest so I was expecting to do really well).

I got a 34.

Score Breakdown: 12PS, 10VR, 12 BS.

It's pretty good but I mean, I'm re-writing in August and I'm shooting for 35+. So I was really expecting to do excellent on this one since I had heard it was relatively easier then the other AAMC tests. Hmmm... guess I've got quite a bit more studying to do. Not tonight though, I think I need a beer or two after writing that sucker all day. :thumbup: