AAMC tests

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinbadthesailor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, is the verbal on the free practice test 3R very similar to the one in tests 6-9 and the real thing, or is one harder than the other or vice-versa?? i just took it and 3R seemed to be intermediate between TPR tests and EK Tests--where TPR questions are based almost exclusively on retrieval information, while EK tests lean toward main idea/support questions(so the questions require more thought but no need to go back to the passage as much). Also 3R questions, it seems, were often easier than EK or TPR, fewer ambiguous questions. So how does it compare to 6-9??

Also another question, should i buy aamc 6-9 or aamc 6R-9R?? or both? which is more recent? thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

later tests seem to be most accurate. word on the street last april was that 7 was the most like the real thing, and 8 is right there too. personally I thought the 3-4r verbals were pretty easy minus a couple passages (you may remember the LI passage). it really depends on your verbal skills, though. i suck at reading/hate to read, thus i'm not very good at verbal and my scores fluctuated accordingly.

it gets expensive quick if you are going to buy all those aamc tests, so maybe ask some of your friends if you can get some hand-me-downs.

modelslashactor said:
later tests seem to be most accurate. word on the street last april was that 7 was the most like the real thing, and 8 is right there too. personally I thought the 3-4r verbals were pretty easy minus a couple passages (you may remember the LI passage). it really depends on your verbal skills, though. i suck at reading/hate to read, thus i'm not very good at verbal and my scores fluctuated accordingly.

it gets expensive quick if you are going to buy all those aamc tests, so maybe ask some of your friends if you can get some hand-me-downs.

thanks! were those 7R and 8R or just 7 and 8 that were more accurate? Were the differences between 3 and 7-9 mainly in the difficulty of passages or the questions themselves? I'm going to buy them all, but i plan to do the most realistic 7-9 only in the beginning of august...

i dont know that there's such thing as 7r and 8r; whatever they're called, i thought they were the most accurate. i did not get 9 so I can't comment on that one.

for whatever reason i just felt like i was in a groove when taking 3. on the later tests the questions were a little hazier, making me think more about each one, preventing me from keeping my pace and ultimately resulting in lower scores. learn to deal with those 10 questioners because if you get a tough one on the real thing it sucks.

you never know what the real thing is going to be like and every verbal passage has elements that you struggle with, so i think those are the ones you want to deal with. i wouldn't think about scaled scores on the earlier ones because they are not very accurate, instead try to set a goal (ie only miss 1 q per passage and take no more than 9 minutes), do at least 3 passages per day if you have a large stash, and stay focused. there is no worse feeling than getting bored reading passages when you know you could be enjoying your free time and then bombing all the questions. if you can learn to stay on track, the adrenaline will be there to keep you going on test day (at least in my experience)

verbal has been beaten to death on this forum and the mods wrote some good tips too, so look at other threads for other people's takes.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks! also i havent yet ordered the aamc tests 7-9 and i wanted to know what was the bibliography for the verbal section of the test: which of the following passages were used? In 3R only Metaphors we Live by was used.

1. Bate, W. Jackson
The burden of the past and the English poet

2. Campbell, Joseph
The hero with a thousand faces

3. Durant, Will
The story of philosophy
The story of Civilization (multiple volumes)

4. Giroux, Henry A
Schooling and the struggle for public life: Critical pedagogy in the modern age

5. Gould, Stephen J
Ever since Darwin: Reflections in natural history
The mismeasure of man
Questioning the millennium: A rationalist’s guide to Precisely Arbitrary Countdown

6. Haraway, Donna (read)
Primate visions: Gender, race and Nature in the world of natural science

7. Lakoff, George and Mark Johnson
Metaphors we live by

8. Panofsky, Erwin
Meaning in the visual arts

9. Wellek, Rene and Austin warren
Theory of literature

10. Wilson, Edward O
Sociobiology
The diversity of life

Anyone out there with AAMC hand-me-downs for trade or donation? I have 5 Kaplans with explanation as well as 2 practice tests from unknown sources and all the bio and chem topic tests from kaplan.

Anyone out there with AAMC hand-me-downs for trade or donation? I have 5 Kaplans with explanation as well as 2 practice tests from unknown sources and all the bio and chem topic tests from kaplan.

moomar said:
Sorry, but you are not allowed to solicit for bootleg AAMC tests on SDN. Closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.